Looking for RO unit suggestions

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Aquarium Keeping' started by Sean S, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

I am thinking about getting an RO unit. I would only be using it for maybe 6 to 10 tanks (assume 40 gallon tanks on average) for Sulawesi shrimp so water changes would be less frequent than a tank with fish, maximum 25% once a month per tank.

Anyone have any suggestions?
  2. aquaticclarity

aquaticclarity Well-Known Member Staff Member

So 100 gallons a month?

If so, check out the Elive RO units. Very compact. Ready to use. I have one I use for my drinking water system and like it.

And yes, I have access to their product if you need a source.
    Sean S likes this.
  3. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Sean,

IIRC the water in the Sulawesi lakes has a high pH and medium hardness. Instead of using an RO filter, you may have good results with these shrimp by treating our water using aeration and lime. Aeration and lime will drop out the temporary hardness, lowering the TDS, and it will increase the pH somewhat, but I think it shouldn't be too far off from the target profile. You may have to add some additional minerals. Evidently the waters there are high in iron and manganese from the clay soils.

Here are some numbers from a survey of Lake Matano that you might find helpful: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/stor...=1&s=46c84e29f3fd6c9cc9f373b769741965048278fa

I got my RO filter many years ago on eBay. Get a good membrane, which is most of the cost. Replace your prefilters often. Monitoring TDS can tell you when your membrane needs replacing, but it should last many years. I wouldn't bother with DI.

I've often thought that a water presentation would be good, but technical. In my old hobby, brewing beer, knowledge of water chemistry was important. I've yet to see a good aquarium hobby presentation on water that wasn't full of inaccurate information.

Happy New Year!

Eric
    Sean S likes this.
  4. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Thanks for the tips, Jeff and Eric!

Eric,

I have seen the article you linked, and I agree we may actually have decent water for Sulawesi shrimp. I am considering importing large numbers though so initially I want to remineralize to minimize my risk. Once I get the shrimp in and can assess their hardiness I would likely test using our water and just possibly adding some things we are missing compared to the Sulawesi lakes. There is actually a significant pH difference between the lakes. They range from 7.5 to 8.5 depending on the lake. So it may depend on which shrimp I can actually get.

I would also be interested in a water presentation, Joe Gargas gave a good presentation last year. The problem is, unfortunately, I think, a lot of people would be turned off or bored by it. The struggles of appealing to the masses...
    Aquaticus likes this.
  5. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I just bought a 5 stage RO/DI unit from bulk reef supply. I was going to go with 6 stage but wasn't sure i needed it. Good price on the 5 stage Value pack. Just ordered it today.