Lucania goodei bluefin killifish

Discussion in 'Killifish' started by Scott Wiersema, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

This is a Florida native. Does anyone have experience with this fish? I have a little on the internet.
  2. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

I got some a year or so ago, initially they looked good and were eating but after a month or two they started dropping and withering away. Beautiful fish, I probably missed something they needed or maybe should have treated for parasites. I kept 8 of them in an unheated 10 gallon that was fairly heavily planted and fed live foods, mostly microworms. Couldn't get them to eat prepared foods if I remember correctly.
  3. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

Well now that I am discouraged. They should arrive today. Want is a good medicination?
  4. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

I would try general cure, good for internal and some external parasites
  5. Rick

Rick Member

I have used PraziPro. It is by Aquarium Solutions. I have had pretty good success and if I remember right it has no effect on plants. I would think an unheated tank with plants would be perfect. They are usually pretty hardy. Microworms are pretty small. I think white or black worms would be fine as long as they are size appropriate. Baby brine is my go to food. Microworms sink. BBS are in the strike zone for a longer time. If I remember correctly, Lucanias are mid to top water fish. I hope this helps.
    Rick
  6. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

When I worked in pet stores we would find them as contaminants in plant shipments or with feeder shrimp or guppies. I would scoop them out and keep them in a 10 gallon at home.

I fed them frozen brine shrimp, blackworms, and flake food. They wouldn't take flake at first but most did eventually accept it. The trick is to keep some other fish like platies, neons, or guppies in with them that eat flake food and they will learn from them.