Mad-Town Aquascapers' Championship

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Megan, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Megan

Megan Executive Board Staff Member

The First Annual Mad-Town Aquascapers' Championship information, rules, and registration form are now up on the MAAH site: http://madisonaquatichobby.com/
  2. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

Registration is active and the rules are posted. The event is limited to the first 25 entries, so enter early to reserve your spot. We will be using a standard 10-gallon aquarium for this competition. The list of equipment provided is in the rules.
  3. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Registered.
    tjudy and Megan like this.
  4. tjudy

We have six entries... C'mon everyone. This is going to be fun! Also... we need to know who from the club will be competing, so we can get in touch with each of you about a plant order to arrive before the show. Call it the 'home club advantage'...
    Megan likes this.
  5. pdonsager

pdonsager New Member

Just registered. Home team
    Megan likes this.
  6. Megan

Only 18 more openings
  7. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

I've never been to an aquascaping competition, and I guess I don't understand how it all works. Maybe are there others that have similar thoughts. It might be helpful if someone could post a brief summary of the process. Some other questions that come to mind:
    • I don't have enough plants right now to do a scape without buying plants. If the club is doing a plant order, when is it going to be placed? What plants will be available? If I can't get in on the club plant order, what other options do I have for sourcing plants? How does it work for other aquascaping competitions?
    • Is it common for competitors to set up a plan tank at home and then tear it down, and bring all of the components to the competition?
    • As far as livestock is concerned, what are others doing? I can see that having some nice schooling fish would be very helpful in a scape.
    • Can I set it up, and then leave it, or do I need to be there during the event?
    • Who is going to be judging? The judge won't be there during setup to see who has set up which tanks, right?
    Some other comments not related to the process questions:
    • Does the club need volunteers to help run the event?
    • Has this been posted to the AGA, Aquatic Plant Central, PlantedTank.net, Barr Report, etc? These might be good venues to publicize this event.
    Mike F likes this.
  8. pdonsager

pdonsager New Member

Which aqueon quiet flow model? Internal or external filter?
  9. Megan

Extrenal
  10. tjudy

Great questions!
    We are going to help club members who enter the contest to get plants a week or so before the show. We will probably order through Mark of Excellence, and he usually has a bigger species list. He also gets plants from FAN, so should have immersed grown plants available, and he would not have the bunch minimums that a wholesaler would have. I am nto sure of how the details would work yet. There are lots of on-line sources for plants (of which Mark is one). Entrants are responsible for bringing their own plants.
    Yes. Some people will even set a tank up to grow out a few weeks, dismantle it and rebuild it at the contest. I do not do that.
    There is no requirement for livestock, and the judge will not add value for having fish in the tank. However, if there is livestock that is in poor condition or is not considered a good stocking option, the tank could lose points. I would not put in a species that gets really big into a 10-gallon. One of the judging criteria is that the plants and fish are appropriate for that size tank. I would also not put in an Aponogeton ulvaceous plant, which would also outgrow the tank. I generally do use fish, as I like the look of them in the tank.
    Set it up and leave it. There are two time frames to set the tank up, Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. The idea is for people to be able to watch the process of aquascaping the tank. That is also a time that is a lot of fun, interacting with the people seeing the process and the other entrants. The tanks can be torn down at 4:00 on Sunday. This is a typical system for events like this. The Garden Expo does not want displays torn down too early.
    Hot off the presses!!! Karen Randall will be out guest judge and speaker. I am sorry this has taken so long to settle. Karen also has a new book that has just been published she will be here promoting: https://www.sunkengardens.net/. Karen will have some other stuff going on Friday and Saturday (talks, book stuff demos). She may see the process, but will not be looking over people's shoulders.

Some other comments not related to the process questions:
    Yes... there are a few tasks we will need some help with:
    • Thursday and/or Friday morning: Setting up the competition area and booths
    • Friday late afternoon, Saturday and Sunday: Manning the competition booth (getting entrants checked in and helping them find what they need, get water, etc...) & manning the MAAH booth (being an ambassador for the club). There will be some overlap.
    • Sunday afternoon (starting about 4:00): helping tear down.
    Yes, on some of those. I have asked permission on a couple and not heard back. If anyone is regularly posting on APC, PT and BR and feels comfortable making announcements, please do. I am not on those sites.
    [/quote]
    Mike F and Aquaticus like this.
  11. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Ted,

Thanks for the great reply! That is very helpful!

Eric
  12. Marine590622

upload_2017-1-9_8-38-30.jpeg For Planning purposes this is what the quite flow filter will look like.
  13. Marine590622

14. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Not sure that will fit in a 10 gallon ;)
    Tom, Chuck and Aquaticus like this.
  15. AreYouKiddingMe

AreYouKiddingMe Active Member

i would sign up, but i can't devote enough time to do so :/
  16. Marine590622

This is the inspiration, tough to do in a ten, but we will see.
  17. Marine590622

You are just afraid it will snow when you have to drive over.;)
  18. Marine590622

I contacted the Minneapolis club, they are going to put out an email to their members. Chuck do you have a contact for the Iowa club you spoke at? We should ask them to promote this.

I have asked aquascapingworld.com and theplantedtank to post the following:

Madison Area Aquatic hobbyists is hosting our first aquascaping contest.

When Feb 10 to 12th 2017
    at the Wisconsin Public Television Garden Expo.
    being held at the
    Alient Energy Center
    1919 Alliant Energy Center Way
    Madison, WI 53713

Karen Randal will be our Judge

Additional information, rules and Registration Available at
    http://madisonaquatichobby.com
    http://madisonaquatichobby.com/contest-information/
    http://madisonaquatichobby.com/wpt-garden-expo-aquascaping-contest-rules/
    http://madisonaquatichobby.com/garden-expo-aquascaping-contest-registration/
  19. AreYouKiddingMe

AreYouKiddingMe Active Member

Actually been driving more now. still not back to normal, but not too afraid of driving lol.
    Sean S likes this.
  20. Megan

Can you correct the name : Alliant Energy Center Not Alient - Just in case someone tries to google it.