Marine Aquarium Guide

Discussion in 'Marine Tech' started by Wendy, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy Member

Hi, we have an 180gal tank that we want to set up as a marine aquarium. I looked through the local library system for books on how to start and the selection is inadequate. I checked the internet and there are hundreds of books on the subject. While I like books I cannot afford to purchase them through trial and error. Will you please recommend a book that gives great direction on how to start and finish setting up a marine aquarium?
  2. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Instead of a book why not try getting the help from one of the members. A lot of these people on here do salt tanks and would be able to help.

Jeff
  3. Wendy

Wendy Member

That I will ask for help from members as well. I like to read, I love books, and it is best for me to have the information at the end of my arm! I like to have at least some basic knowledge in mind before I talk with people about specifics. It makes conversation and the transfer of information easier for me.
  4. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I like books myself but I learn much more from people by them showing me first fand how they do it. I guess it is a lot like on the job training
    Axis likes this.
  5. Wendy

Wendy Member

I appreciate the advice; thank you. My request is for exactly the reason you suggest. I could hunt for the perfect book but instead I ask for the advice and guidance of the experienced to suggest the best resources for me. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime!
  6. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime!

Actualy it's Teach a man to fish and he will find a tank big enough to put it in and starve to death. LOL
    Axis likes this.
  7. Wendy

Wendy Member

You got that right! I am looking at setting up another tank to raise feeders! Does it ever end?
  8. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Been doing this for along time and no it never ends
  9. Wendy

Wendy Member

I thought about my statement and I want my fish hobby to last indefinitely. What I really mean to ask is will I ever be satisfied with the amount of fish I have?
  10. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

No you will not. like a lot of us we change fish in the fish room all the time. There iss always something new that catches your eye and you have to have it. That means either setting up a new tank, moving fish around to make room or selling / giving fish away to make room. I do it all the time. For me i use to do Malawian cichlids then Tanganyikan now i am switching over to central americans. Still keeping some of my old groups but setting up larger tanks for larger fish.
  11. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

You will never have enough time, money, or resources to keep all the fish you want. So, just accept it and enjoy the hobby. I flip the fish I keep all the time as well, though I am trying to be more dedicated to keeping fish that are endangered or rare in the hobby. Doing this allows me to keep lots of different kinds of fish, and give back to the hobby at the same time. It is something that keeps the hobby interesting for me. I have been keeping fish off and on since I was in the 5th grade. Bred my first Tanganyikan then too, though not intentionally at first. Seems like I have always had a tank or two running. Now I actually have a small fish room.
  12. Wendy

Wendy Member

Yeah, I started with a 29 and after two years of fishing I have a corner of my living room dedicated to tanks, five total. I have three sitting on the wings, I need all the excessories and more space for them, and another small tank for fry on order.