My new Angelfish aquarium

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by Bill Egan, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Bill Egan

Bill Egan New Member

Well I'm 66 and just bought a 65 gallon tank. My hope is to have live plants and a few spectacular fresh water angelfish. I am a novice. The tank is set up so I'm looking for some plants and a few fish. I'm hoping for a double black, a koi angel, or any suggestions that would make for a beautiful world to gaze at. I would like to join your club, but can't figure out how to do it. Is there going to be an opportunity for me to purchase fish and plants in the near future? Thank you for any advise.
    Bill
  2. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

Welcome Bill. We meet the third Saturday of most months. All of the info can be found at http://www.madisonaquatichobby.com/upcoming-events/

We don't have a December meeting rather a holiday party at a members house. Details of that should be posted to this forum very soon. Your welcome to come visit us there obviously and meet some of us.

Sadly you just missed the November presentation of hardscaping and planting. But don't fret Jen Williams will be flying in to speak to us in January about aquascaping. There will be plenty of plants to purchase then.

It would be best to just let the tank sit for a few weeks and set it's self up before adding any fish so this is actually good timing. If you have any specific plant in mind that you want to acquire go ahead and ask in the wanted section and maybe someone will have it.

Two questions are what type of lighting have you put on your new aquarium? Planted aquariums have some specific requirements you need to follow in that regard. Also what did you use for a substrate?
  3. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Welcome, I have a number of types of Phillipine Blue Angel fish fry growing out if you are looking for young ones. I should have some available by the January meeting. If you are looking for larger anghels I have a pair of Blue marble veils for sale. I don't have any koi angels but some of my fry will be black (with the phillipine blue, so called Pinoy) but no double blacks at this time.

I believe there are others with koi angels in the club, hopefully they will chime in as well.
  4. Bill Egan

Bill Egan New Member

I have 80 lbs of Carib Sea eco-complete live planted aquarium substrate in the tank. The lighting is by Marineland Aquatic Plant LED 36" lamp. I don't know if I can wait 2 months to plant?
  5. Bill Egan

Bill Egan New Member

I would love a Pinoy blue! please keep me posted. I'm not sure that I can wait 2 months for fish but a Pinoy is at the top of my list.
    Sean S likes this.
  6. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

Bill, where are you located? I have some good looking Italian Val you can have if your in Madison.
  7. Bill Egan

Bill Egan New Member

I live near Portage, by Briggsvile. I would love some Italian Val plants(I just goggled them and think they're great)
  8. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Now that I think about it more, I do have an unpaired female veil Pinoy, she may be a double dark as her growth was slower than some of the other pinoys. I will try to get you a picture when I get home tonight. Some of the little ones would be ready before the meeting if you wanted to get them sooner. Let me know if you are interested, we can probably work something out. I also have some plants available, if you are looking for something specific let me know otherewise I can PM you a list of what I have available. Have you thought about what other fish you might want with the angels? There are lots of club members with lots of other fish many of which would be compatible with angelfish.
  9. Bill Egan

Bill Egan New Member

Wonderful! I sure would like to talk to you when you have a chance. Let me know if a call would be ok?
  10. Bill Egan

Bill Egan New Member

Hi I'm retired so I can be in Madison whenever. When would be a good time to get together for the Italian Vals? I'm open this afternoon if you are?
  11. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

After thinking about it I have a bit more than just Val. I am taking down a planted tank and there are a few others in there. I have half a dozen sword plants, Echinodorus 'Indian Red' I suspect but not 100% about. There is also some anubius in there as well, I don't know the exact species but it is a larger variety that would work well in a larger aquarium.

If you want to drive down here now I can get some stuff put together for you. I'm just off highway 151 at the airport.
  12. Bill Egan

Bill Egan New Member

Darn! I just got this. Would tomorrow work? I sure would like to buy some of your plants. Tomorrow morning would be great? Is there any time tomorrow to fit this in? Appreciate your efforts
    Bill
  13. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

14. steve

steve Active Member

nice to have another northern person in the club. if you are going down to the January meeting you could stop down at my house and we could ride together. let me know, steve.
  15. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

You really should. Steve's tanks are a treat to see.
    kb9skw likes this.