New to salt water and I need a few IDs

Discussion in 'General Marine Aquarium Keeping' started by AssassinJimmie, Sep 9, 2015.

1. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I got some marine algae earlier today and while I was acclimating it I started to notice an abundance of life form living in the tangled mess. I am concerned that some of these could be potential pests that I might not want in my tank but don't have the knowledge to identify any of them.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    If any are a big no no please let me know ASAP.
  2. gordon

gordon Active Member

Looks ok. Get the macros from living art today?
  3. Megan

Megan Executive Board Staff Member

red one is a bristle worm - dont touch it, but get it out of there.
  4. Megan

5. Megan

6. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

Yea.
  7. Ashley

Ashley Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with bristleworms they are harmless and a good addition to your clean up crew. The others are also harmless and good!

You have bristleworms, stomatella snails, amphipods and asterina stars. The star fish looks like it recently split so that's why it's missing legs.
  8. imprezars

imprezars Active Member

All look good to me!
  9. gordon

gordon Active Member

I think that you bought the macro algae that I dropped off at living art yesterday. Good hitchhikers. Copepods, snails, worms are all good.
    Ashley likes this.
  10. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

The second from last picture is an Asterina sea star. You will want to remove that. They reproduce quickly and can harm corals.
  11. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

Sweet. I had a feeling it was yours. When I saw how many amphipods and copepods (which I did actually sorta know about) came out my suspicions where reaffirmed.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  12. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

Megan likes this.
  13. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I really like the two stomatellas I found. They are funny lookin.
    Megan and Ashley like this.
  14. Megan

Sorry I gave bum advice. I'm looking into starting a swt and I've read bristle worms are bad because they get really big, multiply quickly, and eat everything. Guess I shouldn't have piped up until I had actual experience.
  15. Ashley

Ashley Well-Known Member

Bristleworms are great scavengers. Some get big. I had one that was 11" in a 14 gallon but they are harmless.
  16. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I did read about fire worms which are a type of bristle worn that can sting you if you touch them, but it sounds like they are kinda rare.
  17. gordon

gordon Active Member

I applaud your efforts to keep pests out of your display tank. I was told to buy dry rock and get a small amount of sand from others to seed the tank. Also always dip any corals you buy. It seems that most everyone as some level of not so nice hitchhikers no matter how careful you are. I'm not an expert and there's conflicting advice on what's good and bad. I don't know how I got all the critters in my tank. But it seems to be a natural balance. At night using a flashlight the entire sand substrate is crawling with creatures. Must have 100's of brittle stars and various snails and 1000's of amphipods.I guess that this all happens naturally regardless of any effort on my part. Are you looking at a reef or fish only tank? Mine is mostly soft corals and some LPS. I like movement in the tank. I got everything from other club members. One mushroom turned into two dozen. Three polyps soon completely covered a rock. So it goes.

Attached Files:

Ashley likes this.
  18. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I'm not quite sure what my ultimate goal is with this tank. I got interested in the idea of a brackish tank when Marcel first posted that he got the Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis eggs a while back. Now that he has them available again I decided to go for it. Then I changed my mind and decided to go more actual salt water. I'm at 1.021 right now I have a lot of very old dry live rock that I've acquired randomly over the years and never had any use for so I just stock piled it. I did get some live rock ruble from living art to seed the tank and used cycled medium in the filter from the start. It seems to be going well. I have a pajama Cardinal which is a fish I've always wanted and then I have the macro algae I got and some caulerpa. I should get the mangroves on Monday and then I'll get some Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis later next week. Beyond that I have no idea.
  19. Megan

I was inspired by Ashley's talk and then saw a 37g cube (with a really nice custom made stand) for sale on FB, so I bought the setup. I'm going to try to build my own sump. I can't afford to stock it until December, but perhaps I'll get it up and going to get it ready for the fishies. :) I'm just hoping to God the thing doesn't leak as the people refused to fill it for me to see whether it did or not. So I'll be watching for updates on your tank, Chris. :)
  20. followyourshadow

followyourshadow Advisory Board Staff Member

We set up our first SW right after Ashley's presentation. 9 months later and it looks great!

We purposely bought some of the dirtiest live rock we could find, and have a large population of astria stars, bristleworms, brittle stars, various pods (some of which have gotten huge and are now insect-like, which creep me out...), spaghetti worms, and a whole bunch of other hitchikers that we haven't identified. So far all of our corals, macro algaes, fish, and cleaning crew are flourishing.

We built our own lighting system and bought a CPR online with the little protein skimmer, and William got these weird sock-like filters (they feel life felt) that really have helped buff out all the grime.

The biggest advice I can give you starting up a SW is to research the algae blooms that can happen. We got hit with a simple hair-algae bloom early (probably around 8 weeks in) which cleared itself up, but then at about the 5 month mark we had an explosion of diatom algae. Once we got that under control we had a secondary outbreak of cyano algae - turns out the diatoms were using up all the nutrients and once that was gone it allowed the cyano to take over. It was a mess, but somehow we didn't lose anything. Apparently that is normal. HAHA :)

We will be getting a 29g biocube (graciously donated by John & Jeri!) this week and will probably be setting that up soon :) Maybe I'll start up a blog on here about our salty tanks...
    Ashley likes this.