OMG, computers and those that enable them SUCK!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Web Site and Forum' started by bahamafj11, Dec 20, 2015.

1. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

If a regular person wanted to find a thread that was called "What new fish fish did you get today?", that is what you would type in the search box. Right?? But , NOOOOOOOOO!!!! too many of those words are too: common, short, gross, ugly, hairy, old, smelly, impertinent or just flat WRONG!!! ARRRRRRRG!!!!

Computerz are jes dum, enablerz are........................................*&(^&%$##@&^*(*((%$^&^*(&(*^%^%!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Or your granddaughter is doing a report on Savanas so you type that into the search box....

Certainly not suitable for work, or grandkids.
  3. followyourshadow

followyourshadow Advisory Board Staff Member

try using quotation marks - "did you get today" brings it up real quick.
    Megan likes this.
  4. Megan

Megan Advisory Board Staff Member

Your school librarian would be proud of you Beth. :)
  5. followyourshadow

Haha. Indeed. My mom had a computer help company in the 90s that she ran out of our home. I picked up a trick or two.
  6. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

Sometimes the problem is between the chair and the keyboard.
    Elise, Dave, Megan and 2 others like this.
  7. Megan

There is an old computer geek adage: Garbage in, garbage out. ;)

That said, I understand your frustration, Jeff. Doing searches is an art form. I'm glad I went to library school - taught me boolean search techniques like the "quote" one that Beth used.

Not to sound like an old codger, but kids these days were taught to search that way from the cradle up, us over 45 folks were not. Heck I remember getting my first word processor in Grad School and thinking I was on the bleeding edge. What a luxury it was to just type in the info and let the machine spell check and spit out the pages - esp with 50-80 page papers. Didn't get my first computer until (1993).
  8. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

id 10 T error.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  9. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

That is called a PICNIC error (problem in chair, not in computer).
  10. Tom

Tom Active Member

11. followyourshadow

Hello!
  12. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I wonder if Tom is refering to the first program taught in most courses. Hello world.
    Megan likes this.
  13. Tom

Tom Active Member

I never made that comment about computers it was bahamafj11
  14. Megan

Tom - I believe Marine590622 (Randy) thought you were making a joke. You see all beginning programmers create a program that spells out the words, "Hello World!" Since this thread was about computers and how frustrating they can be, it sounded like you were referring to this. You asked me privately how forums work. This is an example of a thread. A thread is a conversation on a specific topic (although they often tend to go off topic.....). Each forum area has threads (also called posts) that people have started for various reasons such as sharing their experiences on a topic appropriate to that area of the forum 0r asking for advice, etc. If you look at the forum titles you get an idea of the general topic areas. The subject lines of the posts under each area should give you an idea of what they are about.