Out of rain water now what???

Discussion in 'Catfish and Bottom Dwellers' started by fishlady, Oct 15, 2019.

1. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

Did a 50% water change on all my rainwater tanks today. The fish didn't seem to like it since the new water was so cold so that will be the last water change with rainwater till spring. Not sure what to do at this point since I am so used to doing 90% water changes weekly and have only been able to do 50% on the rain water tanks the last two times and now won't have access to rain water till spring. I can attempt to just top off the tanks with r/o water assuming my filter still works since I haven't used it in years, just let the water level drop over the next 5-6 months, or start topping off with tap. What would you suggest and why???

Most of the fish in the rainwater tanks are L # plecos
  2. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

You could collect rain and snow and put a heater in it before doing a water change to bring the temperature up to more comfortable range. If they're not spawning, I'd just gradually adjust them to tap through top off and small water changes and try again next spring.
  3. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

you could set up a rainwater barrel in the basement and fill that from outside, and then give it time for the house temp to warm it up.
  4. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

I already have one but with the temps dropping so much at night I don't want to break my rain barrels AGAIN by having the water freeze in them. So I'm just going to stop collecting it till spring.