pat's fishroom

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by fishlady, Jun 7, 2013.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

Ok so this morning was water changes on 16 tanks in my basement along with cleaning one canister filter (cascade 1500) which I am amazed at the amount of poo that thing can hold, cleaning filter inserts on 4 aquaclear filters and 5 hoods on the ten gallons. Only took 3 1/2 hours. There was more I wanted to get done but my back told me I was done for today.
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  2. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

That is a lot of work! But I bet your fish love you , lol.
  3. fishlady

I hope they do. I still have the 6 tanks on the main floor to do but that will probably be tomorrow.
  4. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

What species do you have in your tanks?
  5. fishlady

I have one display tank that has a large mixture of african cichlids mostly Malawi but a few vics and I think one tang is in there also. I have another that is suppose to be a tang tank but is currently holding malawi/vic's that I have for sale while the fronts and tropheus grow up.

species that I am working with or breeding are:
    Haplochromis sp "tomato" the dominate male is named Bob
    Paralabidochromis sp "red fin piebalds" tons of these
    Metriaclima sp "Msobo" still young
    Aulonocara Kandeense still young
    Cynotilapia afra "cobue" Breeding group and lots of fry
    Pseudotropheus sp "williamsi North" Looks like they are getting to breeding age
    Aulonocara Baenschi Breeding size but no action as of yet.
    Paralabidochromis chromogynos Breeding group, some fry but haven't been stripping the females
    pseudotropheus saulosi Breeding group, some fry but have been just letting them spit in the tank
    pseudotropheus demasoni Started with a group of 25(?) now have about 45 of them.
    Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos aka maingano Young group.
    Jack dempseys. Young yet (looking to rehome)
    Bristle Nose pleco's Have several hundred of these now of various sizes.

I still have 6 more tanks in the basement 2 55's and 4 33's that I haven't put fish into yet except for pleco's in 2 of the 33's.

I have 20 tanks in the basement plus 4 containers for daphnia and 6 more tanks on the main floor of the house.
    redefine608 and Cinnamonsticks like this.
  6. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

Holy carp! That is a nice collection!
  7. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

OK, looked these all up. My favorite three are....
    Jack dempseys
    Aulonocara Kandeense
    Paralabidochromis chromogynos

Lots of blue and yellow fishies you have.

http://www.african-cichlid.com/RedFinPiebald7826.jpg
    Do your Paralabidochromis sp "red fin piebald" look like that above?
  8. fishlady

This is what my Paralabidochromis sp "red fin piebalds" look like. I sent pic's to Greg Steeves and he said that they are "pure"

The one in the pic above look more like a chromogynos to me.

I am looking to rehome the Jack dempseys so please let me know if you are interested.

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      578.9 KB
      Views:
  9. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Very cool, if you ever get the chance to see Pat's setup, I would recommend it. She has a knack for putting weight on fry.
    fishlady likes this.
  10. fishlady

Seeing Randy's post reminded me that I have a group of Black bar endler's that he gave me that I am working with too.
  11. fishlady

Todays adventure. The 6 tanks on the main floor, water changes done some of the filter inserts and prefilters cleaned. This took 4 hours but they are larger tanks and the phone kept ringing (grrrrrr)

Monday's project if things go as planned: hoods take them off, clean with vinegar and razor blade if needed hopefully getting them good as new and then put them back on and watch my fish now that I will be able to see the tank better. Might move some fish around to different tanks as well.
  12. duxallinarow

duxallinarow Active Member

That sounds like the way I divide it up – basement one day, main floor the next. Yeah, it's hell getting old, but that's about all my back can handle in one day.
  13. fishlady

Today's project was taking down the 10's that I had end out and replacing them with 20's end out.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  14. fishlady

Now I need to decide if I want to sell the 10's or build a different stand (rack) and put 6 10's end out over 2 40 breeders. To do that I would have to take down my 4 30 longs and it would still leave me with a 40 breeder with no place to go. I would also have to get glass cut for one of the 10's.
  15. fishlady

Water changes today. Hopefully some of my stubborn groups will get the hint with the rain and some new fresh cool water.
  16. fishlady

Did more water changes today. Now all the tanks are nice and clean :) Might work on filters/hoods tomorrow, or might just have a lazy day. Time will tell LOL.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  17. jeri

jeri Member

Pat, if you get enough Paralabidochromis chromogynos fry to sell I would be interested in a group to raise.

18. fishlady

Currently try to sell the breeding group for $100 so they are in a mixed tank so won't be pulling any more fry.

Hoping someone in the club buys them so they stay in the club. Nice clean line.
  19. fishlady

So many holding females and fry I don't know where to go with them all.
  20. fishlady

004.JPG 003.JPG This weeks baby bn pleco's. Anyone want to venture a guess how many? I sure don't know but this is about how many I get from caves every week :)
    Aquaticus likes this.