peudotropheus Saulosi

Discussion in 'CBP questions and answers' started by fishlady, Mar 5, 2013.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

I have a group of these that I would like "vetted" if someone is willing to come take a look and let me know if they are "clean" I would appreciate it. I have 2-3 females currently holding.
  2. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

I have never really seen anything other than clean saulosi up to this point, If you post a photo we should be able to tell. Males are bright blue, females are yellow.
  3. fishlady

Is it normal for the male to be blue and yellow???
  4. mlaursen

a subdominant male will show both colors to an extent. The dominant male will be in my oppinion even nicer than demasoni as far as blue with barring goes
  5. fishlady

He is the only male in the tank. I have 5 females (yellow) and one male ( I pulled him from my display tank and he was all blue but now he is blue with some yellow as well. He hides in a flower pot most of the time so I don't get a good look at him. I might have a one that I am thinking is female that may be a male but you would think if it is and is the dominate one he would turn blue.
  6. mlaursen

He's a little stressed out, Could also be another male you're not aware of that is hassling him a little bit. I had a group a while back that I thought was 1 male and 3 females until I pulled the male out, then the next, etc. I actually only had one girl. These guys are one of my favorite mbuna, but they're really nasty!
  7. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

The males will fade in and out of blue to 'dirty yellow' based upon dominance and mood. The females should be a clean yellow. The only hybrids I have seen involving this species were when a male I had spawned with some female Ps. tropheops females that were also yellow. The resulting fry grew up to look a lot like saulosi, but the females showed stripes... which I do not think saulosi females should show.