pH issues

Discussion in 'Marine Fish' started by mlaursen, Nov 10, 2010.

1. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

Any good recomendations on a good marine salt. I have instant ocean at the moment and i'm having huge pH issues, (running about 7.5) I am actually somewhat baffled by this in that my freshwater tanks with straight tap are all at 8.1 -8.2
  2. aquaticclarity

aquaticclarity Well-Known Member Staff Member

I use Oceanic salt. I like their containers because they seal size and tight even on the 50 and 90 gallon mixes. I have a few 200 galon buckets in the garage if you need some Michael.
  3. JRS

JRS Member

I use standard Instant Ocean, bought a few years ago and it has been fine.

I did have a problem for a time with low pH, but once I increased circulation/aeration it has been good.
  4. mlaursen

I'm finding even fresh mixed is only @ about 7.5 right now, which makes no since as my tap is higher than that. I haven't had marine in so long, and even then i never had issues. I picked up some oceanic to try, if it works out i'll be picking some up from you Jeff.

BTW, this is a 30 gallon with coral/sand bottom and two large sponge filters, so movement should be plenty.
  5. Sula

Sula Member

Are you running this tank as a fish only or are you trying to grow coral as well?
  6. mlaursen

These tanks currently house seahorses, I lost one of my H. erectus and the only thing amiss is the pH. I have never had issues with pH in marine tanks and this is really puzzling me. All of my freshwater tanks stay at about 8.1-8.2 unless i actively work to change that, yet mixed saltwater has been as low 7.3 and that is unacceptable. I started gradually adding Kent marines pH increase/buffer to the tanks but am wondering what the best method for mixing would be if I need to keep adjusting. I even tried the new oceanic salt that was recommended and the same issue occurred.
  7. Sula

Sula Member

How long are you mixing it before use? I have always been told to mix saltwater for at least 24 hours to allow the pH and other water chemistry to stabilize. I can't say that I have ever measured the pH of freshly mixed water, just the dKH which is once of the influencers of pH. I can tell you for sure that mixes like Oceanic and ReefCrystals have a much higher dKH than Instant Ocean. Its a battle I am always fighting with my tanks.

Is your tank in an enclosed room? More people have pH issues in the winter when we close up our houses and there is less fresh air for our tanks to "breathe". A closed up house has higher CO2 levels which make your pH go down. If you take some tank water in a glass out side and aerate for a few minutes then test the pH it will tell you whether this is your issue.
  8. mlaursen

I let it sit with aeration for 24-48 hours, and the tanks have actually been left with tops off for air access, it's just bizarre all around.
  9. Sula

Sula Member

What do you have for aeration in the tank? I always run my tanks open top, it helps some but not everything. Seahorse tanks usually have lower flow than other marine tanks (don't want to toss the cute little ponies around TOO much). I assume you use a protein skimmer? - That should help also.
    I have actually heard of people running outside air into their protein skimmers to help with this issue....
  10. mlaursen

I've only got sponge filters running right now, though I have a CPR skimmer I could hang on the side. They are open top. There is a far amount of movement in the tank. I have gotten both tanks up to about 8.0 wiht the kent marine pH stabilizer, but Mixing is the issue now. I need to mix water to reach that. and I have never had to monkey with this before.

Michael
  11. Sula

Sula Member

I would put the skimmer on the tank to see if it helps, and I still think you may need to figure out if fresh air makes a difference.
  12. fyshy58

fyshy58 New Member

you might try a second tester to check the accuracy of first?

Just my two cents
  13. mlaursen

I checked it with pH paper, and I double checked my meter to the standards at the lab, it's within .02 I pumped the tanks full of buffer and resolved the issue. Still puzzles me though.
  14. fyshy58

fyshy58 New Member

I didn't have this trouble even 20 years ago . We used to use dolomite gravel. You had agitate it to break up a mineral crust that built up on it. You might try a pillow of dolomite.

I also remember a discussion several months ago about water coming out of the tap changing ph due to chemical reactions caused by it no longer being under pressure.Maybe there is somethingin the Tap water that is reacing with a usually inert mineral.
    I'm no scientist but maybe John Glaesser can help.

You might try some of your salt mix in straight distilled and see if it buffers properly.
    Chuck
  15. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

What are you testing the pH with? If you are using a meter the very high TDS may be affecting the meter (unless it is a marine-specific pH meter).
  16. mlaursen

I have the same meter you do I think ted, the Hannah pH/tds