Planning a new system

Discussion in 'General Marine Aquarium Keeping' started by AssassinJimmie, Nov 16, 2015.

1. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I am putting together my first multi tank system.
    Live rock, Fish, and easier corals.
    50 Gal Breeder Display tank
    30 breeder
    33xl
    350 gal black plastic water tub.
    Here is a basic design for my set up. Salt system 1.jpg
    The 33xl will sit above and slightly behind the main tank and the 30 breeder will sit in cement block that will actually be inside of the plastic tub.
    What type of additional filtration would be helpful in bottom plastic tub sump. I was thinking a filter sock but beyond that I could use some insight. Do I really need a protein skimmer if I have excessive biological filtration.
    Aquaticus and Natives2WI like this.
  2. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

This is probably a net 380 gallons for a 50-gallon breeder display tank. I think that is overkill, unless you are going to eventually expand the system to include several display tanks, a fragging system, breeding set up or grow outs. Getting ready to start breeding marine fish? That would be cool!

I would consider turning the 350-gallon tank into two-tank system to recycle water for water changes. Install a big algae scrubber in them. During normal operation one recycle tank is empty and the other is full of recycled water. When you do a water change, you drain water from the tanks to the empty recycling tank, then pump the cleaned water back into the display tanks. A good algae scrubber will remove all the nitrate and other organics from the water in about a week. All you need to do is use RO to top off evaporation and adjust specific gravity.

I would use a big-flower protein skimmer. Recycling marine water is all about exporting the wastes, and a skimmer is the first step in that process. I know aquarists who have reef tanks running for years with no net loss of salt mix. Literally years with nothing added to the system except RO water and the coral nutrients.
  3. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

Here is a scrubber to look at. I have known Morgan Lidster since college. http://atscrubber.com/

These scrubbers are good DIY projects. I have seen them built out of all kinds of things, from rain gutter to plastic cookie trays.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  4. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

Yes, my thought is to create a system that could be added on too.
    Revised plans.
    I like the algal scrubber.
    I have a larger protein skimmer that I got in an action a while back. I think I will set up a small tank to run it in as the first stage coming from the main tank.
    The majority of the filtration design will be similar but with more detailed steps: Main tank- protein skimmer- refugium 1- filter sock- sponge- return pump- refugium 2- main tank. My plan for the second refugium is to create a predator free environment where smaller animal cultures could thrive and hopefully be washed into the main tank.
    I have a design for a algal scrubber water recycling system. The algal scrubber will wrap around refugium 1 so they can share light. It will have a drain into either tank with valves to control direction. Here are some plans:
    Tub Layout.jpg sump top.jpg algal scrubber tide.jpg
    Hopefully these are understandable.
  5. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

Here is the protein skimmer I have. Its made by Current, and I can't find any other information on it. Here is a picture. IMG_1688.JPG
    It is siting in front of two 29s for a size reference. Any have idea of how much thus skimmer could handle?