Planted tank fertilization

Discussion in 'General Planted Aquarium' started by bahamafj11, Mar 25, 2017.

1. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

Yeah, so I have plants in most of my tanks. The fish like them. Me, not so much. Some are great, some, err no.
    Barr, blah blah, blah............

How about a frank blab on what you throw at your tank that works or not? Macro micro co2 dry fert commercial sauce butter................................... whatever.

And please make it plain. Some of us got low PAR............................;)
    Tom likes this.
  2. waterboy

waterboy Active Member

I keep fish and the plants are just there to keep the fish happy. I've never done anything special to try to grow plants.

My plants are all in flower pots. I put in organic Potting soil covered with gravel. I put one Jobes houseplant fertilizer stick in each pot when I plant them and none thereafter. When I started out I bought a lot of "one of these and one of those". The ones that grew I kept, The ones that didn't grow I didn't buy again. All my lights are daylight lights from Home Depot, some compact fluorescent and some LED. Nothing I would call high light. I have found that some plants will grow in some tanks and not others even though the tanks are almost identical. I have swordplants, Italian Valisneria, Giant Hygrophila, and a few Crypts and some Anubias that seem to do OK. Some grow and propagate and some just sit there but stay green. I have only one tank where Java moss will grow, and I can't keep Java ferns alive to save my soul.
  3. Mike F

Mike F Executive Board

Hah, that's also been my experience with some plants not growing in identical tanks. Also similar bad luck with Java moss and Java fern.
  4. Vshrimp

Vshrimp Member

Every tank is different and not one tank is the same as the other. Even though they are getting the same water source. Lots of things varies in what's in the tank. I myself never use ferts in all my low tech tanks. Mainly growing cheap moss to super rare mosses, buce to rare anubias, etc. All growing fine. In my high tech i would dose dry ferts that I premixed in a bottle and dose once a day. With high tech, you have to learn how to balance ferts, co2, and lighting to combat against algae.
  5. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

Jeff, what exactly are you trying to achieve here?
  6. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

Basically a "local" list of resources and materials. The web is full of stuff. I think many of the suggestions are full of stuff, too. Just trying to condense the pool, somewhat.

For example, are all bulk dry ferts equivalent? Can you mix them with impunity or risk thermonuclear meltdown? Can you really measure 1/64 of a teaspoon of anything? And how does one learn to balance?

Maybe I am looking for Grimey style stories of the floral type.:confused:
  7. Jason K

Jason K New Member

I've never heard of mixing fertilizers being dangerous but there's a chart here on compatibility of common fertilizers. I'm not sure if this covers all incompatibilities because I've heard mixing a phosphate fertilizer with magnesium leads to formation of insoluble magnesium phosphate.
  8. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

Some of the high Nitrogen fertilizers contain Ammonium nitrate. You are literally putting ammonia in the water.
  9. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Unless you are striving for a planted show tank, I don't think you need to fertilize or add CO2. I try a lot of plants, and the ones that live in my low tech, sand bottom only, are the ones that I stay with. All of these work well: Crypts, Java moss, Java fern, Sagittaria, Ludwigia, floating plants.