Plants that could live in Brackish water

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquatic Plants' started by Scott Wiersema, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

I have some sailfin molly that would do better in brackish water. Are there any common plant that would well in that environment?
  2. Physarum

Physarum Active Member

I have two molly tanks too, and I have had anubias and Java Fern in them. They did ok at 1.010ish and survived the mollies' incessant nibbling, but they never looked all that great. I went plastic for those tanks after awhile.
  3. Scott Wiersema

I wanted a place for fry to hide. I could put plastic but I think live plant work better and provide some food for the first few days. I guess would put in plastic feed lots of baby brine shrimp. Lately I been starting batches daily.
  4. Chuck

Chuck Advisory Board

Vallisnaria handles salt well. I also have had some luck with hornwort. Naja grass seems just about indestructible. Maybe try that.
  5. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

6. Scott Wiersema

I read some of the articles. They said to slowly change the water to allow the plants to adjust. I didn't have the time since I my fish just dropped fry. I have plenty of green hair algae and hortwort. I just dropped the plants in the tank which seem to have adjusted. The Sailfin Mollies just dropped fry so I needed something now. I have been feeding only live food while I am waiting for the tank to cycle. I am hoping the plants will help soak up the ammonia
  7. Scott Wiersema

The plants in the brackish tank have grown rapidly. They bubble during the daylights hours. The tank is in a southern window and seem to like the light.