Pond excavation

Discussion in 'Pond Plants' started by koilover, Aug 23, 2016.

1. koilover

koilover New Member

I want to enlarge my current koi pond from 15x10x2.5 to around 20x11x4 . That's a lot of digging even with a existing hole the local pond installers greenscape, Bruce co and even the shity pond paradise "which I have issues with" want a fortune . Green scape ponds start around 9k!! All I want is the hole dug and liner installed. But when you say that nope " not interested" they want to put in there over priced filters, pumps, lights which I don't want . I have had great success with my simple bog filter. Anyways anyone know a good excavator ????
  2. Troy

Troy Member

If you have experience driving a mini Backhoe you can rent one locally for about 400-600$ a day plus fuel. It doesn't sound like you want to do too much and scratching out what you want in the ground would probably take an hour. The negative side of that is you will have to get rid of all the soil you took out on your own and may have to pay for the delivery of the backhoe. Going that route would save you close to 7500$ after lining and digging it yourself.
  3. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

Not sure where you live but you might want to check into the local codes about this. We couldn't make our pond 3' or deeper because then it was required to have a fence around it.
  4. waterboy

waterboy Active Member

Good old government regulation strikes again.
    Troy likes this.
  5. fishlady

yep so we dug it at 35 1/2" so it would pass inspection.
  6. power

power Member

Sun praire don't have any codes when I first rug the pond also my entire yard is fenced in already
  7. power

power Member

Fish lady !! Did you have to get a permit? For a koi pond! I talked to the city inspector and sounds like I could dig to China for he caredp
  8. fishlady

Yes I did but we live in Jefferson.