Puntius denisonii

Discussion in 'CBP questions and answers' started by Aquaticus, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

2. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

I have them too.

The biggestbissuenwith spawning them is that they are not mature for 2-3 years.
  3. Roseline17

Roseline17 Active Member

I got a group of 5 or 6 fish, more than 4 years old. However, I don't know if you can sex them or not.
  4. suds1421

suds1421 Member

I had a breeding group of about 20 of them in a 75 gallon, the only way I could tell the females from the second class males was when the females were brooding eggs. I had them in a 75 with TONS of stacked rock and the population increased by 2-3 a year. The rest of the fry didn't make it. I started pulling the females when they had eggs to a diff tank and had good success in breeding them.

I got rid of the breeding group to change up the tank, kinda wished I would have kept them though... :)
  5. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

Females are plumper in the belly than males. Only way to tell is when you have male and female side by side. Juveniles are indistinguishable.

I used to have 1 male and 2 females as dithers in one of my tanks but only have the one male left now.

Andy
  6. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

I have seen these in Petsmart last week. I think it was around $8 each. I did some research. You need a large tank 50 or bigger. The females are larger and slightly less colorful than the males. There is the suggestion that they need to be in large groups for them to spawn. I remember seeing these fish years ago but the owner of the store would not sell them.