Question about Black Water extract

Discussion in 'Killifish' started by JeffW, Aug 3, 2012.

1. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Ok since I am keeping my gold Australi killies I have a question. I have been reading about water conditions and some say to use peat to soften the water. Others say use black Water extract. My question is this. Do the black water extract and the peat serve the same purpose? If so then I would go with black water extract because I really don't want to deal with layering a tank. If not i need to know which way to go with this.

Thanks
    Jeff
  2. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

I just throw oak leaves that I collect in the fall into the tank. They break down over time, and I just toss in more. It will give a place for fry to hide, and for microflora to grow for food.
  3. Rick

Rick Member

When it comes to australes, just shoot for a T.D.S. of about 150. You should be able to get eggs. They are not that fussy.
    Rick
  4. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

So if i shoot for 150 as i look on line that is the range that actually comes out of the tap. So if that is actually correct then i could just use aged tap water. I have been doing 50 /50 with RO and tap. I have peat and can use that and that would lower my PH right? I know it is still like 7.6 doing 50/50 with the water. My tangs love my tap water but I want to spawn the killies and it says they require lower ph. I know these are the easier killies to spawn but i am still trying to get it right.

Thanks for the help
    Jeff
  5. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Start with you straight tap, and see what happens. Do you feed black worms, or have spawn N grow? If the straight tap does not get it then you can add oak leaves and or peat moss to the tank, some a good piece of Jeff Michaels heavy wood that stains the water would also be a good route to try. In my hands the trick that worked best wast straight Madison Tap, and leaving the eggs in the plants and just keeping the tank stocked with mops and plants.
  6. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I feed black worms, White worm, winged and wingless fruitflys and for the first couple of months they were in straight tap. I just recently switched to RO. I think i will try to add the peat but I hear that it can bring the ph down really fast. What would you suggest for the proper amount in a 10 gallon tank.
  7. Rick

Rick Member

You can put the peat in a medium bag or a nylon sock. It will lower the pH without the mess
  8. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Thanks rick that is what i did. I actually put it in a mesh bag inside a HOB filter and put it on a 30 gallon Plastic bin. i let it run for a few days and then add the water slowly to my tanks. with about a 1/4 water change every 7 days. The Gold Australi are now spawning in mops.

Thanks
    Jeff
  9. Rick

Rick Member

By the way, I would never consider australes as a beginner's fish. It has laughed at a me a few times. Glad you are getting eggs. Good luck with them.
  10. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I don't think I would consider any killies a beginners fish. They are alot of work. The fish are amazing with all the color and the activity in my tanks.