Raising fry

Discussion in 'Rainbows' started by Dave, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

So I am hatching out my first ever batch rainbow fry, these are Chilatherina bleheri. I am feeding them paramecium and some green water. I moved the fry to a new petri dish, but want to know how often I should change the water. Also, when can I move them over to bigger food, like vinegar eels or microworms?
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  2. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

After hatching, I usually transfer them with a pipette into a two in a half gallon tank usually I use water from the parents Aquarium. I generally offer vinegar eels immediately, even though the adults are too large, there are often many babies that they can be. The added bonus is that vinegar eels will not die and rot in the aquarium.
  3. Dave

I will have to try that when I get home. Thanks.
  4. mlaursen

np, I found if I kept the fry in deli cups where they hatch, the paramecium fowl the water too quickly.
  5. Dave

The petri dishes that I am using are not your standard 100 mm. These are at least twice as deep and twice the diameter. I will still try out putting them in the 2.5 gallon tank.
  6. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

Heat helps. 80 for the first few weeks with a lot of food.
  7. Dave

I am keeping them under the lights during the day. I move them to my water heater in the evenings. I am feeding them two to three times a day. I am in the middle of a fish room rebuild, so I didn't have time to move them to a 2.5 gallon. They are still in the large petri dish, but seem to be doing okay.
  8. Roseline17

Roseline17 Active Member

Dave, if you have a very fine net you can also net them out to transfer them into a larger tank. I move them into a 10 gallon tank thus the water does not spoil so fast if you happen to overfeed a little. You can feed rainbow fish fry during the first two weeks with APR (artificial plankton rotifers) that is distributed by Wet Thumb Aquatics, 52700 Base St., New Baltimore, MI 48407, 586-725-0900; Sera micron for fry or Ted Judy suggested to even use Repashy food by sprinkling some powder on the surface of the water. After two weeks I transition them over to baby brine shrimp that I hatch daily. As soon as they eat BBS, they will grow faster and are over the critical time. Are these C. bleheri from Gary Lange originally? Good luck with them! They are a very nice rainbow fish!
  9. Dave

Thanks for the additional tips. I got these eggs from Rick Ivik. I will ask him where they line came from. Rick is a killifish breeder and understands very well the need to keep lines pure, so there is a good chance that these fish came from a very reputable source.
  10. Dave

I moved the fry over to the 2.5 gallon and I have been feeding paramecium and vinegar eels. I will start them on hatched BBS this weekend, but continue with the smaller foods just in case. They are still so tiny I wonder if they can take BBS yet. Looks like I have about 16 fry.
  11. Dave

The adults came from Pet World Warehouse when Ted was working there. I will check with Ted to see if he remembers where they came from. The breeders look clean to me, but I am no expert.
  12. Dave

I can't count the fry as they zip around so fast, but there is at least 12 left from my original hatch. They are doing well. I am feeding microworms now and some vinegar eels. They get BBS too, but last week I was out of town so all they got were microworms. They seem to be growing well. I also have eggs hatching out from M. maccullochi and M. praecox. I never really used to be very into rainbows, but I am enjoying the challenge of growing out the fry. My next challenge will be to get some eggs out or my P. invantsoffi and gertrudae.
  13. mlaursen

Those gertrudae are pretty close to spawning size.
  14. Dave

My invantsoffi are definitely spawning size. I have BBS hatching out right now to feed several species for breeding, and for fry growth. I am actually at a point where I think I need to start a culture every day. Time to build another BBS fry hatchery and to split my paramecium culture.
  15. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

16. Dave

Yes, you are an expert at that.
  17. Dave

Seems like the fry tend to hatch out at night. I went down to the fish room this morning and nearly all the M. maccullochi have hatched. So many, that instead of moving the fry I just put the older fry (Sunday/Monday hatches) back in the egg container. I didn't think that the count on the vial (60+ eggs) was all that accurate at first. However, there were over 30 fry zipping around in the dish, plus I had already pulled about a dozen, and there are still a dozen or so eggs left. This doesn't include the few hatches that were dead. It was pretty impressive to see all those fry. The M. praecox are right behind them. I still have a lot of eggs left from the praecox but there was over a dozen fry this morning that had hatched over night.
  18. Rick

Rick Member

So what temperature are you folks raising your fry? I put mine in a plastic shoebox with java moss, snails, and paramecium. I still only get 4 or 5 to survive. It is in the high 60's in my fish room. I get plenty of eggs and it is just frustrating seeing them disappear.
    Rick
  19. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

Too cool. You need to get them into the high 70's
  20. Roseline17

Roseline17 Active Member

I hatch eggs and raise rainbow fry in the first few weeks in the low 80's. Gradually over the course of months I lower the temp into the mid to low 70's.