RO/DI Units what is best brand?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Scott Wiersema, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

Drs. Foster & Smith are having a 15% off sale today.

What is the bet brand to get?

A 50 gallon per day is plenty for my needs
    I have never had one before. I am tire of dragging gallon jugs into the house.
  2. steve

steve Active Member

I would check on the price of the bulk reef supply units. other than getting a unit large enough to handle the volume you need the only feature I find really important is a build in tds monitor. I think that most units use the same components and just slap their name on them.
  3. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

See Ted's recent automated water changing video at (of course) tedsfishroom.com :cool:
  4. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

Not all membranes are the same, but they are all made in the same place. Each membrane is tested and rated for its rejection percentage (the percent of non-water particles that the membrane does not let pass through). A good rejection is anything over 95%, and those membranes cost more. If you see an r/o unit that is 20% or more lower than all the other brands, double check the quality of the membrane they are including with the unit.

I am a fan of Spectrapure products. They have been in the business for a long time, and I have never been let down my their products. I have a spectrapure unit with two 90-gpd membranes. One was new in 2006, and the other in 2010. Both are still working at a rejection rate of higher than 95%. And I make 500-800 gallons of RO each month.

The most important feature to me is the back flush valve, which allows you to flush the space around the membrane and prolong its life. A built in TDS meter is also very useful to be able to know how the membrane is performing.