Shrimp Pre-order is on...

Discussion in 'Ted's Fishroom' started by tjudy, Dec 19, 2015.

1. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

Aquaticus likes this.
  2. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

Ted, i don't know a lot about shrimp, but I k now I am decent at keeping them alive. I wasn't sure what the Purple Zebra Shrimp are considered? (item 94). I am hoping to keep 2 species in 1 tank and 1 in another. I was also looking at the yellow golden backs (item 56, Neocaridina sp) and Crystal Blacks.. I don't know what if any of these would/could cross breed. Is there a guide somewhere that i am missing to the scientific name of these shrimps (crystal black and purple zebras) that would allow for me to determine this?
  3. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Crystals and neos will not cross but there water parameters are different. Neos can survive with caridina shrimp if you can get get there water parameters just right. I do it with Tangerine Tigers and Blue Dreams. If you are planning to keep them with fish, don't plan on breeding them then. The fish may not eat the adults but they will pick off all the babies and you will never see any growth in the colony. Yes I know people will say thats not true they have them with fish and they do well. They are right they have a heavily planted tank the shrimp can hide and some of them make it but over all they are losing more than half the babies that are born. One exception to the no fish rule. Otocinclus cats will not harm babies unless by accident.
    So to answer your question. No Neocaridina and Caridina will not cross. The Purple Zebra is a different species all together and i am not familiar with that one.
  4. tjudy

My suggestion is always to keep shrimp in variety-only tanks if you are going to breed them. Caridina like the water soft and acidic. Neocaridina prefer water that is harder and more alkaline. In my experience, neither species produce well when the water parameters are way off, but the Caridina are more sensitive to that than the Neocaridina are. If all you want to do is keep the shrimp is a display, I would aim for pH 6.8-7.2 and moderate hardness. The Caridina will be comfortable living at that, but may not reproduce. The Neocardina will reproduce, but maybe not as fast.
  5. aquaticclarity

aquaticclarity Well-Known Member Staff Member

Can I get 10 of the Nancy Red Pinto please? Oh, wait, that's $4000!!!!
  6. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

Thank you guys. I will work on my order and get it submitted later today or tomorrow.

Both tanks are heavily planted, only one has fish, and they are baby L129s and corydoras hasborus (sp)
  7. aquaticclarity

aquaticclarity Well-Known Member Staff Member

Great selection of shrimp! And most are very reasonable in price considering the very limited US availability.
  8. tjudy

Please do not forget that I will need any pre-orders by tomorrow. I will also be getting quite a few shrimp to have on hand, but I will not be getting everything on the list.