Shrimps in the club

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Scott Wiersema, Feb 24, 2015.

1. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

What I keep right now would cross breed. There are people that put a couple species together that will not. My concern is water parameters. The ones I am keeping are in tap water and do well the ones that will not cross with these use RO or at least half RO. SO is it a win, win situation with putting more than one type of shrimp in a tank. To me I would say no. Losing shrimp to water parameters or cross breeding. To me Dave it is just like fish species to keep them true keep them separate.
  2. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Well, I could use a 20L and place a divider in the tank that goes up to the lid. Then I could keep shrimp with similar requirements in the same tank. At least I do have room for a few smaller tanks that might work out as another option.
  3. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

A divider will work as long as the divider is sealed so they shrimplets can not pass through to the other side. Small tanks to me are best.
  4. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

I would use a matten filter. Still just kicking around ideas.
  5. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

I have some of those red clawed long arm shrimp? (don't remember the name) I got 6 from a friend for my biocube seeing the sumbu female killed her male.. the female now resides in a 15..
    Scott Wiersema likes this.
  6. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

Those sound interesting. Have spawned some? They are suppose to be easy.

I would like some in the future.
  7. Natives2WI

only had them a week. :) no plans to breed, but if they are easy they will on their own as there is no competition for their babies
  8. Scott Wiersema

I think you will need a bigger tank. I saw a recommendation for ten gallon for just a pair.
  9. Natives2WI

naa.. its a recommendation for a reason.. LOL they are small now.. i don't even know how long i will keep them knowing my record of keeping fish..
  10. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

Just got a red clawed shrimp that is supposed to be a male. So I guess I should start looking to find him a girl?
  11. GirlZilla

GirlZilla New Member

Just ask Paul at living art, that's where I got that bad boy from!
  12. GirlZilla

GirlZilla New Member

I'll be getting some crystal blues in about a month when temps are warm enough. Used to breed cherries so hopefully these guys do well too!
  13. Detautafni

Detautafni Active Member

Crystal blues??? Or blue dreams?
  14. GirlZilla

GirlZilla New Member

Now that you say that I guess I'm not exactly sure exactly what kind...guess I'll see when they get here! I know the care is same as for cherries and all I have to do is pay shipping so I didn't ask too many questions ;)
  15. Detautafni

Detautafni Active Member

Then most likely blue dreams or blue velvet. Don't mix with cherries
  16. GirlZilla

GirlZilla New Member

They'll be the only dwarfs in there, figured they might be able to breed with other dwarfs!
  17. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Crystal Blues are lighter in color more of a powder blue where Blue dreams depending on grade are very dark Blue my blue dreams are mix grade but still very dark. It's all n the name to me they put out a new color blue they give it a new name. They are coming out with new shrimp colors every day.
  18. Scott Wiersema

They a strong purple then I can have full rainbow.
    JeffW likes this.
  19. Natives2WI

I believe I will have some female redclaw shrimps in a few months once mine grow out. Need to make sure I get my 3f/1m before but..
    bahamafj11 likes this.
  20. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I am working on that myself Scott