SICK BOWS

Discussion in 'Rainbows' started by Rick, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Rick

Rick Member

I set up my 90 a few weeks ago. I put in about a dozen Mel tri. Wenlock Creek in it. These fish were a gift and they were in pretty rough shape i.e. red areas and some growths on their sides and joints between fins and body. I also have some Rivulus in the 90 as well as some Corydoras schwartzi. The other fish seem fine but the bows are croakin' about one every other day. Any chance of saving the bows? Are the other fish in jeopardy? Any thoughts?
    Rick
  2. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

I would isolate the bows in a smaller, bare tank. The red splotches indicate a bacterial infection. I have had good experiences with API's MelaFix and PimaFix with fish that look like what you are describing. I use both meds together at 1/2 dose (each), keep the lights off, do a 50% change every day and retreat. After the fish appear to be healthy, I net out the fish and transfer them to a clean quarantine tank and disinfect the one they were in. MelaFix and PimaFix are not harsh antibiotics, and there is a possibility that they only cause parasites to fall off the fish and go dormant until the meds are flushed from the tank.
  3. Rick

Rick Member

How about Maracyn?
  4. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

If Maracyn is what you have on hand, give it a shot. But I would do it in a quarantine tank if possible.
  5. Rick

Rick Member

Thanks Ted