Solids-Eating Creature for Aquaponics Grow Bed

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Frosty Fish, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Frosty Fish

Frosty Fish New Member

Hi everyone,

New to thread. Aquaponic grower living in Madison.

I'm looking for a creature that I could add to my grow beds (essentially an aquarium with plant roots hanging down into it) that could clean out some of the solid fish waste but wouldn't eat plant roots.

I've tried to culture Scuds without luck. Heard cherry reds would be good but need to find an inexpensive source.

Is there anything else you can think of?

[​IMG]
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  2. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

The best choice would have been Malaysian live-bearing snails, but as of January 1, 2015, that animal is on the WI DNR list of prohibited invasive species. Letting you know not to get them if someone gives you that idea.

You might try black worms, but I am not sure how rapidly they would eat waste. Cherry shrimp might work, but they are also canaries that will die off if the chemical parameters of the water change suddenly.
  3. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

A cheaper alternative that might work are the traditional ghost shrimp that you can find in most pet stores as feeders. I am not sure but I believe they will reproduce in freshwater. The last time I checked, they were about 2/1.00. Someone else could hop on and tell you about reproduction.
  4. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

What kind of fish are you going to keep in there?
  5. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Fresh water mussels