Tankmate for Synodontis lucipinnis

Discussion in 'Catfish and Bottom Dwellers' started by stephyyykinsss, May 19, 2018.

1. stephyyykinsss

stephyyykinsss New Member

I have a Synodontis lucipinnis (aged 5 ½) that was housed with a Kribensis Cichlid in a 29 gallon. Unfortunately, the Krib passed away at 6 years old. Is my Synodontis okay by him/herself?

If not, what tank mates do you suggest? I'm looking a solitary fish because I am not interested in breeding right now.

My Synodontis has been housed with a gourami in the past and they got along great.
  2. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Any of the small to medium sized Tanganyikan Cichlids should work. I would recommend one of the Julidochromis species. I have some available if you’re interested.
    The shell dwelling Cichlids are fun too and should work well.
  3. stephyyykinsss

Would you recommend a Julidochromis marlieri or Julidochromis ornatus? Would it be possible to keep just one Julidochromis in the tank with the Synodontis or would you recommend a pair?
  4. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Either Julidochromis would be fine, they are all very similar in temperament. Single fish will do fine. However, if you wanted to try breeding the Julidochromis are one of the most interesting. Once the parents spawn they are great parents and will take care of the fry. As they continue to have successive broods they take care of the older ones as well and the older broods will help take care of younger ones. It is a really neat thing to watch as the colony grows. Your 29 gallon tank would work just fine for a group of Julies, I have my ornatus colony in a 25 gallon tank.
  5. stephyyykinsss

I ended up buying a Julichromis ornatus from LivingArt Aquarium (I have always had good luck with them). IMG_0315.JPG