Tanks on wheels?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Physarum, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

I bought a stand that holds four 20 Longs vertically back in 2012. It has migrated around the house but I can't find a good spot to set it up. Right now, it resides in front of the room that holds the house mechanicals - boiler, water heater, water valve. I don't have to go in there all that much, but sometimes I have to re-light a pilot light or figure out where a puddle of water came from.

How unwise would it be to put the rack of tanks on casters so I can set it up in that spot without totally barricading off the utility room?
  2. terry

terry Member

Is it a metal stand?
  3. Tom

Tom Active Member

Do the wheels lock?
  4. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

How would you move it? It would be very heavy and wouldn't the water splash out? Wouldn't moving it put to much pressure on the seams?
  5. Megan

Megan Advisory Board Staff Member

I think Pat has a point about the pressure on the seams.
  6. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

The rack is made of 2x4s and seems pretty sturdy. I haven't bought wheels for it yet, but I would look for locking ones - good point, thank you. Pat, I don't know if you remember it. We drove out to that guy's house in Kenosha to pick it up, and he had friendly chickens and other fowl, swans, horses, etc.. I would really just need to be able to pull one end of it out about 60 degrees so I can get behind it to access the room. I'm not worried about the tanks having pressure on the seams as much as I am about it just being tall and narrow and heavy.
  7. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

I used to service an account that had all his tanks on wheels. Including a 150 gallon. Sloshing was an issue when moving, but as long as the wheels are sized properly for the weight it's not a problem.

Andy
    Physarum likes this.
  8. terry

terry Member

I would put swivel wheels on the end you are going to pull out.
    Physarum likes this.
  9. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

I think I might try putting the rack on this:
    https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...0v2EP_PnE3K3lWKyqfxoCjDgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I could attach the stand to the dolly with brackets I already have. I could complete the deck with 2x4s if you guys think that might help. The wheels don't seem to lock however. Probably just going to use the top shelf for storage rather than setting up the 4th 20 Long for now. It'll be too close to the ceiling to work on anyway.

But yay! More tanks! These will be #41, 42, and 43!
    terry and Sean S like this.
  10. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Now you will have room to buy more fish!
    Physarum likes this.