The bristlenose Journey

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by AreYouKiddingMe, Jan 16, 2017.

1. AreYouKiddingMe

AreYouKiddingMe Active Member

Well here is the story,

I have bred tons of hypans, panaquolous, pecks, and other ancistrus since 2000, but i could never get regular bristlenose to breed. THe first attempt I had set them up in a 33 XL with many gaves, 2 males, 6-8 females at a time. Well, the dominant male became a monster.. bigger than any other bristlenose i had seen/have seen since. He killed off all his tankmates one by one. So i bought another 6 females, he killed them, tried to buy one large female, he killed her. So i got rid of him, and tried the original set up over again, with similar outcome, only without a monster male. I just have had 0 luck breeding regular bristlenoses.. Well, I was keeping single specimens in each of my 4 small tanks (well the 1.5 didn't have one, but the other 3 did.) they are all now nearing adulthood, as the male has full on beard, and the other two nothing. I took down 2 of the tanks over the weekend and re-scaped my 14 gallon cube with a maxijet 1200 for the pump. Water moves fast. It is set up for tangs, but the 3 bristlenose now reside together. I have 3 caves in there, (one facing each side, and one out the front)

So here is where i need you guys. What is the best food to feed them to get them conditioned and breeding, and not killing eachother. I dont want to raise the babies any longer than what would be considered "bap-able" size, cause then i view it as a breeding success. I will post pictures tonight of the set up. Advice on food, cave sizes, etc will all be appreciated.

-Nate
  2. waterboy

waterboy Active Member

I keep mine usually one male and either one or two females in a tank. Usually that is enough to get them breeding. Otherwise I have a bunch of them in a grow out tank. I have never had one kill another one. They do fight occasionally, sidle up to each other and try to stab with pectoral spines.

I feed them Zucchini almost exclusively. I don't know if it is the best food, but they have all they want to eat. They usually get what algae there is to be had and sometimes left over flake food that reaches the bottom.

I make my own caves out of 2x6 porcelain tile. I have tried other caves and they seem to prefer mine. Any cave where they can reach both sides with their pectoral fins seems to be OK. I don't think the size of the cave makes too much difference but it is probably a good idea to try a couple different size caves.

I have noticed that it is difficult to tell males from females in a grow out tank where there are a bunch of them. It seems that when there is a dominant male present, the other males do not grow the bristles.
  3. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

I fed spawn and grow or meat pie, occasionally I would feed the brussel sprouts or extreme cichlid food. They also had access to whatever algae was in the tank. I couldn't get them to stop breeding.
  4. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

Mine go pop in Randy's "rotted granite" caves (randy, get it?). Also bamboo. Plecos eat other fishes poop. Didn't you know that?;)
  5. hazard

hazard Active Member

I have probably 15 10's with pairs or groups. I make sure there is only one male per tank. I use Boester bells for caves. one cave per tank. I feed hbh graze/hbh seafood lovers. average week is 3 males on eggs. I use Evansville city water(liquid rock). I think my hatch rates are down some because of this.

Chris
  6. AreYouKiddingMe

So the male has taken to the cave right in the middle in the front. He has been trying to lure the females in since yesterday. I am making sure their food is now infront of his cave so he gets more chances to entice the females. Gooo Mr. Bristles!!
  7. AreYouKiddingMe

Got eggs, but he just seems more interested in luring in the other female lol..
    Sean S likes this.
  8. AreYouKiddingMe

Soo.. he doesn't tend to the eggs at all.. never had a pleco dad do that.. he spends all his time at the edge of the cave trying to get the other female.. the eggs are still orange, but not crystal clear orange. Did he mess up, or are they still ok?
  9. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

Still ok
    AreYouKiddingMe likes this.
  10. AreYouKiddingMe

HA! eggs hatched last night.. saw atleast 8 lil eggs with wiggly tails (the cluster wasn't very big to start with!) YAAAY
    Mike F and Sean S like this.
  11. AreYouKiddingMe

So the last batch all became fish food.. oops.. there is another batch of fry in the cave now, and should be leaving soon. Let's see if the other fish decide to choke on a few more bristlenose fry.. This batch has about 20.
  12. waterboy

waterboy Active Member

Almost every other fish eats baby bristlenoses, even big guppies will eat them. If you want to grow them out, siphon some out and raise them separately.
  13. AreYouKiddingMe

naa, i will let nature run its course lol.
    Aquaticus likes this.