The Catfish House

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by Scott Wiersema, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

I wanted to get serious and spawn lots of Cories this year. I have a goal of six species. Well this last month, I setup some separate spawning tanks. I have a large number of the easy ones. C. paleatus, C. schultzei and C. aeneus albino.

The ones that I am trying to trigger are C. axelrodi, C. weitzmani, C. metae, C. ehrhardti, C. rabauti, C. melanistius, and C. venezuelanus. I guess we will see what happens.

I forgot how fun it is to watch little cory kittens grow.

I also want to get some more Aspidoras .
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  2. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

C. ehrhardti and C. weitzmani are also very easy. My ehrhardti would not eat eggs or fry. Just left them in the tank and threw in freshly hatched brine daily. The weitzmani I would pull out the eggs but they are very large and the fry are born large and grow quickly.

Just spawned C. metae myself. Good luck with the others!

Andy
  3. Scott Wiersema

I think my metae spawned but none of them have hatched. They are young fish that I got about one month ago.

With Aspiodoras there seem to only be a few species available here in the US. I have only seen CW 118 and spilatus mentioned in the forum. Are they others in the club? I bought some A. alabaster this summer. They have spawned severa; times none hatching. I am wondering if they are sterile. Robert told me that are no true A. alabaster in the U.S. I will try adding RO water the tank to see if that makes a difference.
  4. aquaticclarity

aquaticclarity Well-Known Member Staff Member

I have wild caught Aspidoras pauciradiatus for sale.
  5. Scott Wiersema

I looked up the pricing very reasonable. The only major problem is distance from your house. I figure it is about 180 miles drive one way.
  6. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

C. duplicareus is relatively easy to spawn.
  7. aquaticclarity

aquaticclarity Well-Known Member Staff Member

Where are you???

Shipping would be inexpensive and is easy enough to do once things warm up a little. I need lows in the 20s or better to safely ship fish.
  8. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

I collect corys....
    Scott Wiersema likes this.
  9. Scott Wiersema

I like all of the tan and black cories. I have been afraid to keep C. aldolfoi and C. duplicareus because I think they are difficult to keep alive. They prefer low mineral water right?
  10. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I kept and spawned C. duplicareous in Madison tap, Switching to 50 % ro to increase spawning at the end.
  11. Scott Wiersema

I will have to try and get some.
  12. Scott Wiersema

Today I found a small number of eggs in C. weitzmani tank. A couple were fungused so I am hopefully a few will hatched. I understand they do not have large spawns. I also have some C. concolor in the tank. They have been chasing each other around th tank. I think I found one smaller egg think they are trying to spawn too.

This morning after i found one egg I did a big water change(40-50%) in 29 gallon tank. I put five gallons of RO water. The C. weitzmani seemed more frantic in the spawning behavior. They seem to be shy about spawning if I am too close to the tank so have not seen any placement of eggs. I have a chunk of Jav Moss about the size of a football. They seem to have lid most of the eggs in that. While I was looking at the moss several eggs fell out. They did not seem very sticky. I havee feeding worms everday for the last week. The female did look ready.
  13. Scott Wiersema

I just moved Firemouth (T. meeki) eggs to small tank to finish hatching. I didn't think their would survive in a 55 gallon community tank. They spawned in a PCV pipe. I am not sure of the exact count but at least between 100 to 200. The eggs look very good. I think only a few stayed pale colored.
  14. Scott Wiersema

The eggs didn't hatch. I moved and the males was not there to fan them. I will let them hatch next time.

I was surprised tonight. I found two of my baby crayfish carrying. One when I netted all the babies jumped off mostly in the net. I moved them to a new tank so they will have a chance to grow some. Another female was carrying eggs also. They hatched at the end of August. I usually takes about 7 months to mature enough to do this.

I have a bunch of cories are dancing around from all the water changes I did yesterday. I have C. panda, C. aeneus, C. metae, and A. spilotus in a frenzy.
  15. Scott Wiersema

The snow storm must have triggered the C. weitzmani. I saw an egg on glass late last night and more this morning. i collected about twenty eggs this time. I should raise some fry. I was checking the Java Moss and found another egg. I got to thinking maybe some fry hatched. i looked under the sponge filter. I cory fry. I got an aie line and siphoned out of the tank. It looked smaller than Weitzmani fry. I looked closely at it. It grey with no spots yet. I hace some small C. concolor in the tank. I think they are starting to spawn also.
  16. Scott Wiersema

Tonight there will be a large snowstorm from 7pm till tomorrow night. The forecast calls for 7 - 11 inches. I feed some worms and did lots of water changes today. I hoping some cories will get busy tonight.
  17. Scott Wiersema

I am still waiting for all the cories to spawn.

I did set up a tank for Pearl Danios to spawn and they did. I have some fry hanging on the side of the tank. They are sure tiny. They look like little slivers of glass with yellow ball (yolk) and two eyes. I will slow add some green water for their first meal.
  18. Scott Wiersema

The Pearl Danios have started eating brine shrimp. I think they are 200 fry. Hopefully I should be able to raise some of them. I normally in the past just moved fry from a community tank when they got big enough.

The snowstorm did not get any cories to spawn but the cold snazp did get the C. weitzmani fry in unheated tank. The water got down to 66 F. Hopefully I will do better next time.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  19. Scott Wiersema

I finally found my first C. panda egg. I have some from three sources.
    Cinnamonsticks and Aquaticus like this.
  20. Scott Wiersema

C. panda are spawning again. One of these days I will ge some fry raised. I have done before.