The Fish Nook

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by Aquaticus, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Well, I suppose I am far enough along on my fish room that I can start a members blog about it. After setting up a 65 gallon in January, I quickly moved to having four tanks in our back room, one 75, one 65, a 38 and a 30. My wife is a saint, but nonetheless she finally tired of tanks in the backroom, so I negotiated some space in our partially finished basement.

The space is next to the laundry area and is roughly 8 feet square. I have run electricity and water to the space, insulated, and I'll be paneling the area, even though two of the racks are up already. I didn't do things in exactly the right order this time. I'm lucky that there is a floor drain in the space.

The racks are from 2x4s, and two are completed. There will be a third one to complete a U-shaped space.
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  2. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

The Right Side
    Here is the right side of the U, with 2 38s and 4 30 longs. Top left has threadfins, L144s, and Apisto. cacuatoides, top right has some black neons and my young Cory. aeneus. Left middle is emperor tetras and kribs, middle right is my beard algae culture (joking), Cory. paleatus and serpae tetras, bottom left is Variabilichromis moori, bottom right is empty.​
    [​IMG]
    REVTODD and Cinnamonsticks like this.
  3. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

The Middle

The middle rack has 4 20 longs and 3 10s. Top left is Corydoras sterbai (all males, I think :( ), top right is guppies, which will be bapped this weekend to free up space, middle left is empty, middle right has a trio of kribs and tiger barbs, bottom left is Cory. aeneus fry, bottom middle is Glossolepis maculosus fry from Gary Lange's eggs, bottom right is my spawning group of Cory. aeneus (2 females, 4 males). I experimented with having two more tens on top of the stand, but I think now it is going to be used for storage and brine shrimp hatching.

[​IMG]
    REVTODD and Cinnamonsticks like this.
  4. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Very nice!
    Cinnamonsticks and Aquaticus like this.
  5. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

The Left Side

Here's a pic from further back with a view of the left wall with floor drain. I've got the wood to build this rack, and I've got 6 tens for it. I need to pick up two more 20 longs.

[​IMG]
    jcvang, REVTODD and Cinnamonsticks like this.
  6. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Other miscellaneous notes:

Electrical

There are six 3 gang receptacles on their own 20 amp circuit in this area that are run through a GFCI. One receptacle in each box is wired to an in-wall timer for the lights.

Lighting

Most of the tanks have CFLs over them. I bought some inexpensive lampholders from Menards and wired them in series for each tank. I'm using 6500K CFLs. While I am not trying for full out planted tanks, I like to have plants in each tank to help with the nitrogen load. All tanks have some sort of floating plant as well as some in pots or in the substrate. I have measured PAR in these tanks just for fun. I'll have to post numbers sometime.

Reflectors

Most of my reflectors are cheap $1 plastic bowls painted white on the inside with spray paint.

Water

You can see the hose dangling in the middle of the room. It is connected to the tap water and run through particulate and carbon filters. I also have an RO unit with a 50 gallon storage tank that is not pictured.

Air

I have an older linear piston pump that is in the corner of the room right now, but which I'll be mounting higher up soon. It works great, but is louder than newer models. There are 25 outlets, most of which are in the open position. I'm thinking about adding a larger bleeder valve.

Heaters

Most of the tanks have heaters set pretty low (72 F). Some of the upper tanks don't have heaters, as they stay about 73.
  7. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

Eric, is the corydoras hatchery in these photos somewhere? It is sofa king bright in that room for corydoras eggs.

Your fish room is great!
  8. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

I don't have any eggs right now, but I do have some paleatus fry on the top shelf next to the brine shrimp hatchery. I just moved that light up there, and it wasn't there when eggs were hatching. There was a 10 gallon up there with painted sides that kept that area darker when the eggs were hatching. I'm not sure that cory eggs are as sensitive to light as say tetra eggs are known to be. It would be interesting to do an experiment! :)
  9. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

BTW, the paleatus eggs took longer to hatch than the aeneus eggs (6/7 vs 3/4 days) , but I had a great hatch out, and only one fry has died so far, which means I've got about 12 of the little buggers swimming around. They are almost black, which is a lot different than the aeneus fry. I'll give them about a week to get some size on them, then I'll add them in with the other cory fry. The four fry in my 38 are growing like crazy! Blackworm buffet makes them grow super fast! Three of them hang out together all the time, and the fourth is more independent (or shy) and hides behind the driftwood. I've really enjoyed watching them grow. Sometimes they hide and I can't find any of them! Pic from yesterday. Darn snails on an algae wafer...

[​IMG]
  10. imprezars

imprezars Active Member

Looks very nice!
  11. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

TheyJustWantedGoldfish Active Member

AWESOME ERIC! You need a comfy chair to sit and gaze from.
    Aquaticus and Cinnamonsticks like this.
  12. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

I do need a chair! I'm hoping to find a pleather computer chair on rollers!
  13. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

Jeff has a great chair in his fish room. Oh and the cat is great too ;)
    Aquaticus likes this.
  14. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Water changes last night after hooking up my RO water line. Struggled finding a pump. First, I tried my pond pump. Broken impeller. Next, an old Rio 2100. Not strong enough. Finally, I used the Laguna pump that was powering my four tank system and it worked great. I don't know why I didn't just start with that. Drrr.

Having a softened water line and the tap line make water changes easy. Next I've got to figure out a siphon system. Currently, I'm just using a little hand siphon pump, which works fine but is slow. I'm going to put something together with a screen on it that I can just start and forget. Preferably three of four of them, so I can do several at once.

I have a bunch of cory fry in my 10 gallon tank. They are growing fast. I'm amazed at how fast cories grow, expecially compared to the rainbows in the tank next to them. I've got about 25 Glosslepsis maculosus from Gary Lange that are finally starting to get to about 3/4" to 1" length after 3(?) months. Thinking about moving them to a 30 long for growout. They are pigs.

I was really hoping for more cory eggs this morning after water changes, but no luck. :(
  15. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Put up some walls over the weekend. Whiteboard paneling. Fun to draw on.

[​IMG]
  16. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Added speakers, too. How could I forget that? Old computer speakers that I plug into my phone to play Creedence.
    Cinnamonsticks, Dusty and redefine608 like this.
  17. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

CCR rocks.
    Dusty likes this.
  18. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

Music for you or the fish? The corys and I listen to music and the news... And we watch Star Trek together.
  19. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Music is probably more for me. :) Up this week, finishing the stand on the left side to complete the U. 6 more tens and 2 more 20 longs, although I am short a 20 long if anyone has one.
  20. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

How would you know? Nick didn't let you anywhere near it, as I recall.
    Cinnamonsticks and Aquaticus like this.