The great daphnia shortage of 2014

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by AssassinJimmie, Aug 17, 2014.

1. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

For anyone who hasn't noticed I love daphnia. Currently I can't find anyone in the club who has an active culture. Recently my own cultures have basically dwindled down to extinction due to lack of attention, but for the second time in my daphnia culturing experience I have raised the Phoenix from the ashes and restarted my daphnia culture from nothing but disaster(for those of you who don't know this is a natural preservation technic of daphnia; if water conditions get to bad or the food supply gets to low instead of creating offspring they lay eggs which can survive dormant for long spans of time and under horrible conditions even freezing temps only to be triggered to hatch when conditions are optimal again.) I have have decided to take it upon myself to solve the great daphnia shortage. Hopefully within a week or so maybe less I will have multiple culture back up to roaring production at which time I intend to reinfect our club with these creatures. Anyone interested in keeping this awesome live food post your interest. I will announce when I have cultures ready to give away and deal them out on a first come first serve basis(except for a select few who have been nice enough to provide me with cultures in the past you get a golden ticket to the front of the line). The only thing I will ask in return for a culture is that you take the ownership of one seriously. Anyone who has not kept a culture in the past please do some research before asking for one. If you get a culture and keep it successfully pass it on to others. I could ramble on for a while but I'll try not to. #1 rule: if you recieve a culture from someone and at some point in the future they ask for one you must make an effort to give one back. Daphnia are finicky creature that only like to survive in optimum conditions and are therefor easy to kill. On the other hand they reproduce on a massive scale and their idea of optimum conditions really just means lots of food and water that isn't just utterly toxic so... Not that hard to keep alive. But the only way to keep them in the club year round and available to everyone is for people to share. I will start.
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  2. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

One additional note. Anyone who is interested in a daphnia culture that is willing to trade another live food culture I would really appreciate it. Currently I only keep daphnia and white worms but I extremely interested in expanding my food farm including vinegar eels and different micro worms and the like. Also very curious about gammarus shrimp.
  3. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

I love the title to this article, because the description in the piece is far from 'simple'. The author describes Jim Langhammer's daphnia method, which definitely works. I cannot ever keep up with it though:

http://www.aka.org/wako/DaphniaCultureMadeSimple.htm
  4. Elise

Elise Active Member

I'd be interested in trading vinegar eels or microworms for some of these daphnia. We found a few 5 gal water jugs by the curb a while back and I've been wanting to set one up for some daphnia to really get a good culture going.
  5. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

I have vinegar eels and paramecium. I also have a 10 gallon tank that won't stop producing green water. The tank is coming down , but if you need the green water you may have it. I don't need any daphnia at this time though.
  6. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I would love some green water just let me know where and when to pick it up.
  7. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

I THINK NICHOLAS HAS WATER FLEAS!!!
  8. Dave

I should be home tomorrow evening. Just bring a bucket and you can drain the tank so I can do a water change. PM me for details.
  9. Dave

Tell him to stay out of the ponds.
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  10. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

Feed feed harvest water change...ooommm.
    I finally read through this whole article thoroughly I really liked it. Time to readjust my feed mix a little and my water mix. I like that I really follow his method pretty closely already.
  11. Dave

Thanks for coming by Chris, I hope the green water helps jump start your culture.
  12. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

I had a ton of Daphnia going earlier this summer in my outdoor tub. But I put some Danio choprae out there in hopes they would breed in the tub with all that live food and all I see left are a few daphnia and no baby danios either. :(
  13. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

It only takes a few to start a culture so not all is lost. I found putting a high protein type of food in with the culture usually increased the numbers.
  14. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

Does anyone need a start of green water? I have a tub outside. It will be harder to get next month.