This week in the fishroom

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by Dave, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Things are starting to look up now that I am moving back into fish that I have experience with. I am still working with a couple of killies and I am accumulating cories, but I am also starting to work with more cichlids and plecos.

My L144s are on eggs again, and my albino sf bn just hatched a clutch. My L144 and lf calico grow outs are doing very well. I have a yellow lab holding. I see a lot of N. multie fry in my 20 long. My leleupi fry have left their cave, and I have been target feeding them newly hatched bbs. Well, actually everyone is getting the bbs since it makes so much from even a small scoop of eggs. I thought I had lost all my assassin snails, but I found three in a tank, so I moved then into my cherry shrimp tank. I have some cherry shrimp grow outs that are now berried up for the first time, so I am hoping to have shrimplets soon.
  2. dxiong5

dxiong5 Member

Nice happenings in your tanks. I like these "This Week..." threads, it's always nice to hear what people are working on.
  3. Dave

You know us fish geeks, always talking about our stuff. :D
  4. Dave

Just an update.

I had chocolates hatch out, but I was not able tokeep them alive. They are only producing a few eggs a week. I need to pump up the feeding. I also found the airline to the box filter was clogged, which might have been affecting the adults and the eggs. My yellow labs are not holding. Maybe it is due to the new settings. The next female that holds will be pulled to reduce her stress. I have my first ever catfish eggs. I pulled about 50 eggs last night, and another 20 this morning from my group of Syno. lucipinnis. Once I get enough hatched out to BAP confortably then I may put the group back up for sale. Right now I have the eggs in a breeder net with an airstone. I hope to see fry this weekend.
  5. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Very cool on the catfish eggs. Good luck
  6. hazard

hazard Active Member

you will see fry after two days. I never had luck pulling the eggs out individually and letting them sit on the bottom

Chris
  7. Dave

I just poured the eggs out of the marble container, then rinsed the marble container one time to get the rest of the eggs. I then transferred the eggs to a breeder net. It will be a trial and error things to see what works for me. I do appreciated the tips though.

I did discover something cool in my search for the marble containers. I purchased two 6" terra cotta flower pots. The inside diamter is ~5 1/2". So I went on a search for a glass bowl that had an outside diameter of 5 1/2" or less. I couldn't find one. What I did find were some Ziplox plastic, round storage bowls. They fit very snug into the upturned flower pot.

What I need now is a cheaper source for marbles. I found them at Walmart and they wanted $5.00 for enough to fill a bowl about 80% full. It is working, but that seems a little expensive for marbles.
  8. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I will have Diana keep her eyes out. I think I got a mason jar full that she picked up at a yard sale for a buck or two.

I am guessing it does not have to be marbles. Small smooth stones of about the same size would probably work just as well.
  9. Dave

Marbles are nice because they are spheres and allow the eggs to easily work their way to the bottom of the container. The decorative glass beads could work, but in my opinion they are not as effective. Marbles have been used in the past because they have been cheap.
  10. hazard

hazard Active Member

11. Dave

I believe I got 140 marbles for $5.00. Based on that, walmart is cheaper. Land of marbles offers "over 500 marbles" for $35.00 plus shipping. You can get 560 marbles for $20.00 plus tax at Walmart. I still think that is a little pricey for marbles.
  12. TANK

TANK Active Member

I picked up marbles at the dollar store for $1.00 per 100.
  13. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

hmm.. I remember the dollar stores having them cheap but I cannot remember what craft/wedding store we got our blue marbles from as they were like $20 for close to 50 lbs of marbles (enough to fill atleast a 10 gallon tank of marbles.)
  14. Dave

I pulled another 50+ eggs last night. That is a very rough estimate, it is likely higher. Man I hope these eggs are good!

Chris you weren't kidding about the number of eggs these guys lay.
  15. Dave

Update:
    The Syno. lucipinnis have moved on, I may try them again in the future. The yellow lab that I thought had spit her eggs actually was still holding. I pulled about 20 fry from her a few weeks ago. I need to check my records, but I think they might be 45 days by the meeting. I definitely have enough N. multifasciatus fry to BAP. I just don't know if I can catch them. I saw N. similis fry last night. I hope that I can keep them alive this time. I picked up some cories; one more paleatus, four arcuatus, and one that I think is a davidsandsi for $2.49 each. I need to pick up a few more arcuatus and several more davidsandsi.
  16. Dave

Hmmm, that davidsandsi might be a melini. I need to study them a bit more because they look the same to me.
  17. Dave

Upon further review, melini.

Yellow labs will have to wait until next month.
  18. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

davidsandsi has more Orange on the top and a less pronounced stripe if i remember correctly. they're much more like adolfi or duplicarious
  19. Dave

After I studied them a bit more, there is a big difference in the dorsal fin markings. Definitely melini.
  20. Dave

Picked up a pair of yellow mystery snails and a reverse trio of C. paleatus from Randy. I have another spawn from my Calico male. This time he must have spawned with a different female because I don't see any of the orange with dark spots this time. I do see some lighter browns, but with my colorblindess I cannot be sure of their color. I guess I will have to ask the wife. However, I do know it had to be a long fin as I had removed all the short fins from the tank. Looks like I am going to be growing out a lot of fry to see what they really are phenotypically. It should be a fun project to figure out their genetics. My P. chromogynos spawned, another yellow lab is holding, I have a new batch of leleupi fry, and I see red cherry shrimplets now that I have taken out all the fish from their tank. That is my first comfirmed shrimp hatch!