Tips for Breeding Hyphessobrycon amandae (Ember Tetras)

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Aquarium Keeping' started by Courtney, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Courtney

Courtney New Member

I got a few today to go in my planted tank, and I would like to see if I can breed them. The only thing I've bred in the past are platies (not exactly hard), so any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

There are many articles on the internet about tetras and this species.

You need soft water RO or rain water to hatches eggs.
    Warm 78-80 temperature
    feed live feed a couple weeks before blackworms or better baby brine shrimp for conditioning.
    either spawn mops, plants or marbles to keep from the parents from eating eggs which are light sensitive. Put it under dark cloth or plastic for days. They are small so 5 gallon is fine.

Fry will be small and hang on the glass. First food green water or muck from sponge or power filter when they start swimming. The hardest part

I have raised a few tetras but have a group of these to try shortly. I think Ted Judy wrote an article for tetras.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  3. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

I was able to breed and raise lemon tetras last spring and 3 Black neons. The most challenging part in my opinion is feeding the fry when the first start swimming. I fed mine pond water from a local pond that was strained if anything large enough to attack the fry. I managed to raise 14 lemon tetras.