Tissue culture plants.

Discussion in 'General Planted Aquarium' started by Marine590622, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I am wondering who would be interested in learning to do tissue culture plants at home?
    Chuck and Vshrimp like this.
  2. Marine590622

Also, if you have empty tissue culture cups from 1-2 grow plants I can reuse them.
  3. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I would be interested.
  4. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

Interested
  5. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

I am sure that we can find someone to teach tissue culture. Karen said that there was a speaker at an AGA a few years ago that did a workshop. What I do know is that in order for tissue culture to work the media, cups, tissue samples and equipment have to be absolutely sterile. The process is usually accomplished under a positive pressure hood to prevent contamination from the air.
  6. Marine590622

I have been reading up on it online. I got to thinking there are plants that should be TC candidates that I am not seeing coming out of the big commercial outfits. It turns out some of these have already been cracked by hobbyists.
  7. Dragon159

Dragon159 Advisory Board

Interested
  8. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Intrested
  9. Marine590622

10. Marine590622

11. Marine590622

At this point I am looking at this as a DIY type of offshoot of the hobby. I am not sure there is enough interest in the tissue culture aspect to make this worth bringing someone in. But if we have a number of members who play with this and share their experiments in developing protocols for different plant species I see where we may be able to have this become an interesting offshoot of the hobby. For instance, I love working with the Buces, but I am concerned about the way the harvesting of these plants is affecting the environment.