Triops Anyone raise these?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Scott Wiersema, May 17, 2015.

1. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

I bought some Desert Goby at the meeting tonight. I looked them up on the species chart. I notice the species listed just before. I didn't know what they were so looked them up on the internet. They sounded interesting. I was wondering if anyone had experience with them. I understand they are sold in kits. The kits are pricey and the eggs don't always hatch.
  2. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I saw some egg kits at hobby lobby that where between $5-10. After doing some reading I might try these so if I do I can hopefully give you some of my eggs. I found this site that had good info http://mytriops.com/articles/triops_care.stm
    Aquaticus likes this.
  3. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

TheyJustWantedGoldfish Active Member

Scott - My kids raised them last year in third grade science class. Had I known you were interested, I would have saved their field notes. :D
  4. Scott Wiersema

I am looking for more class C spawns. This look like small space requirement and quick maturity. They can start laying eggs after one week. You dry out the eggs for a couple of weeks and start the next generation. We will a ruling on turn in date since they only live 60 days or less.
  5. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I doubt you could get a C but you can make the case and see what happens. Or are they already listed as a C?
  6. Scott Wiersema

They are already listed as C.
  7. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Scott, most of those inverts will be removed from the list as they fall under the "food" category like Daphnia and Gammarus shrimp. We draw the line at things like cherry shrimp. However, that shouldn't discourage you from trying Triops, they are an interesting creature.
  8. TANK

TANK Active Member

Well if you take that approach all fish would fall under the food category also wouldn't it?o_O
  9. Dave

Sorry Tank, you can't submit your vinegar eels, nuisance snails, fairy shrimp, or daphnia cultures to BAP. I am sorry that you can't see the difference.
  10. Scott Wiersema

These get a little big around one or two inches when fully grown. The three species were left on listed species chart. Also you need to treat them like dirt killifish to get the next generation.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  11. Dave

Regardless, I don't think this species was ever actually evaluated. I know they are diapause, but that alone may not actually qualify for a C. The BAP list is going to go through a review this summer, so you can expect changes to points and listings starting in August.
  12. TANK

TANK Active Member

I see the difference Dave! The idea is to create interest in the aquatic hobby and not make less work for the BAP committee. People do have different interest other than just fish and if spawning anything creates interest in another hobbyist that is all positive for aquarium hobby. Why not submit "food" species."Triops""daphnia""fairy shrimp""nuisance snails" I am sure there have been studies/reports done on all of these small creatures. So Jimmie you better spawn them before your BAP committee enforce more rules and regulations.
  13. Scott Wiersema

These are not a viable feeder food. They too expensive and hard to raise for that.
  14. Dave

Nothing has been changed, but the points are being reviewed. The Triops has never really been seriously looked at, and so the points might be a bit high for the species. Still, things like Daphnia aren't going to be allowed, regardless of the cries from people that don't participate in this club's activities.
  15. Dave

Actually, our rules are less stringent than MAS. Several changes have been made as this club has grown and adapts to the membership. Keep in mind that we only started in 2009. These changes have been to the benefit of both the breeders and the people that bid on the BAP donations. Some of those changes were to allow first spawn points for variants, increasing the age slot for submitting fry, lessening the C/D requirements to a total number rather than a number since your last level, and implementing a minimum size of the fry. Rather than crying foul, you should educate yourself, or ask questions. If you look at other clubs you will see that there are vast differences in BAP rules around the country. Some of these differences include: different point systems, different award levels, limited species, scaled submission requirements, scaled points based on the number of fry, different breeding report requirements, and the list goes on and on. So, don't complain about this club being different, just accept that it is different. In addition, the review of the points has already been announced once, but then you would have had to be following BAP and attending meetings to know that.

BTW, you have no idea how much work the BAP committee has put into this program, so please don't act like I am trying to be lazy.
  16. TANK

TANK Active Member

I didn't complain about the club being different. I simply posted my thoughts.
  17. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I can confirm that their is a ton of work involved. And the Committee has put in place a mechanism to make you case for a spawn, and for what you think is a reasonable point level for the spawn.