turn over rate for a rack system, need advice.

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Aquarium Keeping' started by steve, Jan 28, 2018.

1. steve

steve Active Member

I am planning a new rack of isolation/breeding/plant grow out tanks in preparation for the new large tank. I'm planning a sump of around 240 gallons with 6 poret 2 inch sheets for filtration. the next shelf will hold 4 tanks that are 32x30x16 for around 70 gallons each, the top shelf will hold 10 20 gallon long tanks. all the tanks will have a 2 inch poret foam back wall and 2 drain tubes. my question is what is a reasonable flow rate for this system. was considering using a dart external pump to run all the tanks or 2 jaebos for redundancy. I would appreciate thoughts and opinions on what flow rate would work for the individual tanks or the shelves or the whole thing. thanks, steve
  2. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

I had a similar system in my old fish room. 2 x 120 gallons with dual overflows, 8 x 15 gallons with poret walls and 1" drains out the back.

I discovered that you can't really pull the water through the poret as fast as you think. I started with 30 ppi foam and eventually changed to 10 ppi foam. But still the flow was about 100-150 gph per each 15 maximum (usually it was much less when the spraybars clogged up with snail shells). And I still had to clean the poret weekly to keep them from clogging up with debris (but I keep a lot of wood eating plecos so that's normal).

I used an Aqueon 4000 submersible utility pump for the 8 x 15's and an Iwaki 30 RLXT for the two 120's.

IME you really don't have to push a lot of water through the central system to keep the water quality high. A slower flow will run quieter and more efficient and the water quality will remain good. Use a propeller style circulation pump or airstones to create more water movement in the aquarium itself.

andy
  3. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Why is there is a need for a foam wall in the tanks that are centrally filtered?
  4. steve

steve Active Member

just a belt and suspenders I suppose. also thought it would be easier than worrying about a clogged overflow, but now you have me thinking about skipping it. I was also thinking that I may try breeding some tetras so that would be a reason for at least some of the tanks to have foam backs. I think I will get a jaebo dcp10000 to see how that works with a second one as the back up or to be added if needed for more flow. I was planning on around 100 to 200 gph for the 20s so that should be in the range for the filters ability. anyone else with feedback on wha
    Aquaticus likes this.
  5. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

If you go with the 2 inch foam the flow has to keep the foam upright. I do think 10 ppi works best.
    Aquaticus likes this.