Turquoise Rainbow breeding

Discussion in 'Rainbows' started by Heuk21, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Heuk21

Heuk21 Member

I have a trio of turquoise rainbow (Melanotaenia Lacustris) that I set up in 29G for breeding with 2 mops and about 10 dwarf water lettuce with roots that go down to 1/3 of the tank depth. Yesterday, i saw a few eggs on the bottom, a few on the 2 mops. Then as I looked around more, I saw about 25-30 eggs on the Dwarf lettuce roots. I was amazed they were all the way up to 1/2 inch from the surface. :D
    It seems they preferred the plants roots to the mops that run the all depth of the tank. Will have to set up a 5g for growing the frys once they hatch.

Next group will be a trio of Melanotaenia boesemani.
  2. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Nice job Kou. I will have to make a run to your house to take a look when they hatch.
  3. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

Most of the rainbows I have lay their eggs right up next to the cork on my spawning mops. (my skull creeks were the only exception, they for some reason liked bottom mops.) The fry are the fun part :D

Michael
  4. Heuk21

Heuk21 Member

Well last night I check and yet they spawn again but this time there was about 30 eggs on the bottom and only a dozen on the mops and roots so i took the trio out back to the 55g community tank. well see how the eggs gonna turn out as some of the previous day are turning white or fungused up. will go in and take those out this evening.
  5. Heuk21

Heuk21 Member

thanks Jeff, those are pretty easy to get to spawn. raising the tiny frys is the harder part. From 2 previous attempt, I got one growing up to 1 inch but it has a deformed mouth and one that was getting there but it escape the fry basket/holder and became snacks for my angels as I can't find it anywhere. :x

So hopefully this with all the live food I have going, I can get a nice group growing up. Will be getting my grindal worms today. Needed them for feeding between micro and whiteworm. now if I can find some liquifry #1 to help start infusoria and frys on their first food. :D

BTW if you need more Dwarf water lettuce, stop by I got tons and will have more. I like to thin them so their roots get longer and fuzzier ( very good for plant spawner) if not, they will be going on aquabid or the trash bag.
  6. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I can try to get up there this weekend. I am off Friday maybe I can come up then. Let me know what time your home.

Jeff