Want to team up?

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by Rachel Kruse, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Rachel Kruse

Rachel Kruse New Member

i just joined/attended recently at the club. I guess it's not joining if you pay a door charge I'll look into that but either way, I'm an artist. I'm looking to create a large scale tank where I sculpt a form for a tank on a substrate that will accept plants, and someone with carpet plant knowledge could carpet the substrate. I believe this would blow the rocks off the whole aquascaping genre, to make it more artful,.. is anyone with knowledge interested? I'm thinking a praying or kneeling human figure carpeted with dwarf plants that require CO 2 and trimming...????
  2. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

neat idea. what medium are you thinking?
  3. Rachel Kruse

Rachel Kruse New Member

...then there's that woool that sometimes plants root into for sale???

Now that is an idea, an old dry piece of maple, cheery or hickory firewood.

Carve it. Drill tons of tiny holes in it to allow it to water log. soak it until it sinks.

make a mud out of aquascaping soil and pack that in the holes and then plant it and place it in an aquarium.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2017
  4. Marine590622

I have thought of this in the past, what about taking a low fire clay and mixing an aquasoil into it, sculpting what you want and then firing it. I am not sure this would work but would be willing to play with the idea with you.
  5. Rachel Kruse

Rachel Kruse New Member

Would the soil's composition change from high temperature or would it be used to create a texture? I'd love to try it. There's some guy that makes and fires caves for some species which are just rings of flattened clay with an opening on one side and sealed on the other. plecos? Cool idea.
  6. Marine590622

Organics in soil would potentially be oxidized to some point by high heat. Especially if you went about cone 4 or 5. But even so the aquasoil would still have some nutrient value I expect.
  7. Dragon159

Dragon159 Advisory Board

I would almost wonder if a semi rigid foam would work as substrate. I know the glosso seeds I have been playing with as of late would grow in the voids. I would also be willing to share for such a project.
  8. Marine590622

Rachel, I ended up editing one of your posts instead of replying to it. Sorry
  9. Rachel Kruse

Rachel Kruse New Member

Nice. Just also watched a video of how the winning tank from AE 2015 created a moss slurry for their beautiful root system and prepped it... I could also collect and tie sandblasted aquatic stems, burls and roots to create a sculpture of wood. All great ideas I want to start playing with by the time I get my 150 gallon at Christmas! As for your other question my boys are 6 and 11, so old enough to go on a trip to Chicago but may affect my enjoyment of the day if you know what I mean? Especially my 6 year old..he gets bored easy. I'll let u know as soon as I think I can go Saturday. What time Saturday would it be?