Wanted c or d class fish (updated 11/8/2018)

Discussion in 'Foster home' started by fishlady, Jul 10, 2014.

1. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

Looks like I need to bap some more c or d class fish to advance onto the next levels. Please let me know if you have any I can work with. If it's not a African cichlid I will need to be educated on how to care for them and get them to spawn. Don't have access to RO but I do have a rain barrel that I could use rain water.
  2. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Hey Pat, I am supposed to be getting Michael's C. moorrii. If you want to borrow them you may. That is a class C Malawi Hap. They need to go into one of your bigger tanks though. Might work okay in that 90 you are getting rid of.
  3. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

If nobody buys it I could give that a try otherwise it will have to be a 55 gallon.
  4. Dave

55 is too small.
  5. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

Thanks for the offer but looks like I will have to find something that will fit in a 55 gallon or smaller
  6. Dave

You should look for West Africans. Lots of Pelvicachromis species that are C/D. Just pass over the P. pulcher. Also, several Tangs would fit the bill, including Lamps, Cyps, and Tropheus.
  7. Dave

One more suggestion would for C/D, Ps. demasoni I think are a C and so are the "elongatus-types".
  8. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

Thanks Ps. demasoni are a B. I already bapped those and currently have a elongatus group that I am hoping to get to spawn soon, been working with them for a while now but they aren't cooperating :( Good suggestions though.
  9. Dave

Should have asked for a C, you might have gotten it. Water under the bridge now.
  10. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

I set a goal for myself for the next bap year 14/15 to try to get 6 or more c or d spawns. I have some fish that are in that category however they aren't co operating with me. I think some are probably to young or the groups aren't big enough, the others probably need to be in a tank as pairs but I don't know how to tell them apart. Looks like it's going to be a learning year. Might need a mentor for this.
  11. Dave

Talk to Ted when he gets back about getting a pair of Pelvicachromis taeniatus. They would be a good place to start.
  12. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

I may have a pair of taeniatus moliwe
    fishlady likes this.
  13. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

What size tank would they need?
  14. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

20 long works best for a pair Pat. I tried them in a 10 but nothing happened Moved them to a 20L and got spawns all the time. They like caves to spawn in.
  15. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

Got a 20 high empty right now. I don't have any 20 longs.
  16. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

20 high has worked for me, the 20L just gives them more space.
  17. Dave

I personally think the extra 6" for the 20L or better yet a 36" is worth it. They can fit in a smaller tank, but results might be mixed.
  18. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

The only empty tanks I have right now are 1 20 high and 1 10 gallon. Until the breeding groups I am done working with sell I won't have any more tanks available.
  19. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

I have some 20l for sale... :)
  20. Dave

I have a beater 29 that you may have. It is ugly but functional. Tank only.