Wanted c or d class fish

Discussion in 'Foster home' started by fishlady, Jul 10, 2014.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

Looks like I need to bap some more c or d class fish to advance onto the next levels. Please let me know if you have any I can work with. If it's not a African cichlid I will need to be educated on how to care for them and get them to spawn. Don't have access to RO but I do have a rain barrel that I could use rain water.
  2. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Hey Pat, I am supposed to be getting Michael's C. moorrii. If you want to borrow them you may. That is a class C Malawi Hap. They need to go into one of your bigger tanks though. Might work okay in that 90 you are getting rid of.
  3. fishlady

If nobody buys it I could give that a try otherwise it will have to be a 55 gallon.
  4. Dave

55 is too small.
  5. fishlady

Thanks for the offer but looks like I will have to find something that will fit in a 55 gallon or smaller
  6. Dave

You should look for West Africans. Lots of Pelvicachromis species that are C/D. Just pass over the P. pulcher. Also, several Tangs would fit the bill, including Lamps, Cyps, and Tropheus.
  7. Dave

One more suggestion would for C/D, Ps. demasoni I think are a C and so are the "elongatus-types".
  8. fishlady

Thanks Ps. demasoni are a B. I already bapped those and currently have a elongatus group that I am hoping to get to spawn soon, been working with them for a while now but they aren't cooperating :( Good suggestions though.
  9. Dave

Should have asked for a C, you might have gotten it. Water under the bridge now.
  10. fishlady

I set a goal for myself for the next bap year 14/15 to try to get 6 or more c or d spawns. I have some fish that are in that category however they aren't co operating with me. I think some are probably to young or the groups aren't big enough, the others probably need to be in a tank as pairs but I don't know how to tell them apart. Looks like it's going to be a learning year. Might need a mentor for this.
  11. Dave

Talk to Ted when he gets back about getting a pair of Pelvicachromis taeniatus. They would be a good place to start.
  12. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

I may have a pair of taeniatus moliwe
    fishlady likes this.
  13. fishlady

What size tank would they need?
  14. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

20 long works best for a pair Pat. I tried them in a 10 but nothing happened Moved them to a 20L and got spawns all the time. They like caves to spawn in.
  15. fishlady

Got a 20 high empty right now. I don't have any 20 longs.
  16. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

20 high has worked for me, the 20L just gives them more space.
  17. Dave

I personally think the extra 6" for the 20L or better yet a 36" is worth it. They can fit in a smaller tank, but results might be mixed.
  18. fishlady

The only empty tanks I have right now are 1 20 high and 1 10 gallon. Until the breeding groups I am done working with sell I won't have any more tanks available.
  19. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

I have some 20l for sale... :)
  20. Dave

I have a beater 29 that you may have. It is ugly but functional. Tank only.