water hyaciths

Discussion in 'Pond Plants' started by fishlady, Sep 7, 2009.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

I really like the water hyacith. It is very good at removing nitrates from the water and when I bring them in for the winter the mollies and guppies just love it.
    [​IMG]
  2. JustinW

JustinW Member

Can you tell me more about the care this plant needs? How many hours of light how intense? anything else usefull

thanks
  3. fishlady

When I brought them in last winter I put them in a 75 gallon that had a triple tube and a twin tube light strips total of 200 watts of light. I kept the lights on for 12+ hours and they did well with that and even reproduced. The year before that I tried putting them in a trailer bed liner with just a shop light with 2 bulbs and that didn't work to well. Sorry I can't be more specific than that. Hope that helps.
  4. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Does the form of the plant change when you bring it into an aquarium to overwinter? Do you have a photo of it submerged overwinter?
  5. fishlady

When I bring it in for the winter I just let it float in my aquariums. I think it would die if submerged, but not positive on that. Hope that helps.
  6. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

When I first started with planted aquariums I worked with a plant, I do not rembember for sure, but I believe it was called the water hyacth, and the president of the Madison area plant club informed me that this was actually a pond plant and it's form would change when it reached the surface, this is why I asked.
  7. fishlady

I am overrun with these right now so if anyone wants some let me know.
  8. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

Pat, if you still have some on friday the 17th, i'd take a few!
  9. fishlady

10. fishlady

Still have a bunch of these. Please come get some
  11. duane stuermer

duane stuermer Active Member

I over winter them in a south window refugium/sump with rishi shrimp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some get a bit ragged by spring, but tend to bounce back when placed back in the pond.
    [​IMG]
    TroyZ likes this.
  12. fishlady

I have a bunch of water hyacinths if someone would like some please let me know. I don't think I can overwinter all of them that I have.
  13. duane stuermer

This "was " a great hyacinth summer I also had a bumper crop.
    I put them up for free in Milwaukee and had no takers, the pile below is the 3rd pile going on the compost heap, and there are plenty still in the pond.
    [​IMG]
  14. power

power Member

do your koi eat them? i would love them in my pond but i think my koi would destory them
  15. duane stuermer

They may nibble a bit, but not so you'd notice, from 2 plants in spring to where the hyacinths almost totally covered the surface by Sept . I believe the plants reproduce at a much faster rate than the fish can eat them.
    There is only the 1 koi and 4 goldfish in the pond though.
  16. fishlady

These need homes before it gets to cold outside.