Water

Discussion in 'Marine Tech' started by Ashley, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Ashley

Ashley Well-Known Member

I'm going to be setting up a nano reef soon and I'm so confused on water. I know I can't use tap so what does everyone else use? I'm having a hard time finding a RO/DI system, that I can disconnect,that doesn't cost me an arm and three legs. It just seems crazy to have a system for 75 GPD when all I'll need is 1-2. I don't need RO for any of my other tanks. Are there smaller units on the market? What should I be looking for in a good unit? Should I just sip it all and get water from the LFS?
  2. suds1421

suds1421 Member

I've been reading up on reefs too... Trying to avoid them cause I know I'll get sucked in and have a huge reef soon after I get a small one :)

Anyway, it seems like those with nano reefs just buy the water... you don't do many water changes so it's not that expensive but I spose a pain to have to buy all the time...

How big of a nano are you thinking?

Many use distilled water or buy RO water from the grocery store, just have to make sure you get a well kept system...
  3. fishhouse

fishhouse New Member

4. Ashley

Ashley Well-Known Member

I love nano tanks in general so I think I'll be ok. I'm going to be setting up a biocube 14 gallon. Right now I'm gathering the remaining equipment I need and figuring out my set up.
  5. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

If you need less than 10 gallons at a time, and do not need it very frequently, then you can buy a lot of distilled water for a long time before equaling the cost of an RO unit (and all the other parts you need). PM sent...
  6. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

The woodmans near us has ro water for sale for .30 per gallon. You can pick up 6 gallon containers at walmart to haul the water in. That would be cheaper then the $1.00 per gallon for the distilled they sell there.

Although 6 gallons of ro water in one of these is going to way 45 pounds. You might need help loading an unloading so perhaps 4 3 gallon containers would serve you better.
  7. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Just out of curiosity, how close to distilled water do you need to be? I am wondering if the inline filters that you can use with a saddle tap for refrigerators would get the water clean enough. They claim to get 98 or 99 % of minerals and additives removed.
  8. EVOLTNVII

EVOLTNVII Member

Which Woodmans? im looking for some cheap RO water myself
  9. Sula

Sula Member

When I just had a couple nano tanks I bought all my water at Woodmans (West side). It worked pretty well for me...