Website

Discussion in 'Web Site and Forum' started by Megan, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Megan

Megan Executive Board Staff Member

Hi everyone,

I am in a class called WordPress for Designers and I need to create a website. I thought I'd use the club as a hypothetical client. This does not mean we'd have to use the site I design, but it might help illustrate what features are possible. I need some information, however. Could the person in charge of the Facebook page contact me? As an aside, does anyone know why I don't see the MAAH facebook posts in my feed? The posts for every other page I "Like" does this automatically and I double checked I am "following" the page.

Do we have accounts with any other social media formats - Youtube, Twitter, Pinterest, Vimeo?
  2. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Beth handles our facebook presence, I suspect the reason it does not behave the way you might expect is we are missing a pluggin for word-press to interface with facebook.

Beth is followmyshadow on this forum.
  3. Megan

No, I mean on my personal facebook feed, not the website's. I was just curious if someone knew why that was.
  4. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

Nothing from the MAAH facebook page shows up on my facebook page either. I always have to search for it to see if anything has been posted recently. It doesn't seem to get a lot of activity, perhaps this is the reason.
  5. followyourshadow

followyourshadow Advisory Board Staff Member

The reason you don't see any updates is because there haven't been any.
    I consistently updated the page for about a year, with at least three posts each week, but the only people it ever seemed to reach were the four of us who actively checked it. It became more work than it was worth to maintain it. I think Ashley (who ran it before me) will give you a similar story. Facebook makes it too hard to use for any sort of marketing, unless you are willing to pay a bunch of money to them.
    I've brought up the idea of having it linked to our website/forum automatically in the past, but nothing ever came of those discussions. There was also talk of budgeting in fb promotional money, but ultimately it was decided that it wasn't worth the cost.
    I also had some people volunteer to help update it, but that never panned out either. And so it took back burner.
    Blue2Fyre likes this.
  6. Elise

Elise Active Member

That page is actually pretty hard to find. I looked for it several times in the past before finally finding it tonight. I'm not really sure why - I think I searched for various forms of the name that were maybe wrong (like maybe "Madison Aquarium" instead of "Madison Aquatic" - or maybe "Madison Aquatic" doesn't turn up anything unless you type it as "Madison Area Aquatic...") I think you can request to change the name to put (MAAH) at the end, which might make it more findable? The web address is also facebook.com/MadisonAquatic which might be throwing off search results - but I don't know enough about that to really say for sure.

Anyway - don't mean to be rude, I know volunteering to manage pages like that can be really frustrating (I've done my share in the past too!) Just hoping to be helpful! Feel free to ignore if it's not!
  7. followyourshadow

followyourshadow Advisory Board Staff Member

Facebook does not allow you to change organization names any longer... that's one of the first things I checked. Even when the page was really active members could not see it in their news feed because fb dictates who sees what based on how much we pay them. If we can set it up to auto-post when sunbathing is posted in, say, the announcements board it may be with reviving. But if every post has to manually entered (even with nice time stamping feature they have) it just is to much work - especially when everyone who uses it is also on the forum. I believe that in the entire year I kept it going we had one single person find the group through that medium, and that person was directed to the forum anyway, where they posted one question and never came around again.
  8. Elise

Elise Active Member

Weird. The other page I manage let's me request a change. But if no one uses it then yeah...probably not worth it.
  9. Megan

I wasn't criticizing. Maintaining social media accounts is a pain and if you aren't getting results, pointless. I do think there have been posts since I liked the page (tho maybe I'm wrong) and they don't show up in my feed and I think they should be.
  10. Megan

I forgot to ask if anyone has any really high quality pictures of their fish they'd like to contribute to the cause. You can send them to me at megan1967@gmail.com
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  11. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Megan I will send you a few pictures this week probably Friday.
  12. Megan

Great! Thanks, Jeff!
  13. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

I would be willing to do updates if we can figure out how to get them to show up on the pages of the people following it.
  14. Megan

Groups are the way to go on Facebook. Pages are hit and miss. I have liked pages that I see the posts for all the time and I know they don't pay extra, but there are others I have to go look at if I want to see the latest postings.