What Air Pumps do you use?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Aquarium Keeping' started by Troy, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Troy

Troy Member

I'm in the market for a new Linear Piston Air Pump and have been looking at jehmcos which come with a big price tag. Are they worth it? Is there a better or comparable brand out there? Are linear pistons all they are cracked up to be or will I save money by getting a diaphragm air pump. I don't have many tanks that I'd be running off it currently but plan on and have been expanding slowly, hopefully getting to the point of a full fledged fish room eventually. I basically don't want to have to keep upgrading. Could any of you veterans point me in the right direction?
  2. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Just bought a Jehmco DAPMH15 today. Rated to run 8 to 15 tanks but strong enough to run 20 tens that I want to run.
    Troy likes this.
  3. Troy

Troy Member

Let me know how that works for you. Do you prefer diaphragm over linear piston?
  4. Rockriverfish

Rockriverfish Executive Board

I have been using the same Dolphin AV 50 for the last 10+ years with no issues. Currently running 20 drops with air to spare.
  5. SteveS

SteveS Advisory Board

Depends how big you want to go and how deep your tanks are. Jemco lph80 can run 120 outlets set at 12 inches deep no problem. Unless your going with 80 plus tanks it's over kill but can still be used for about 40 tanks 55 gallons or bigger. Lph60 is the way ide go if you have 40 to 60 tanks. I prefer linear or diaphragm. No blowers or compression pumps. Too loud and use a lot more electric to run. Small diamphram pumps are reliable. Just make sure to buy a rebuild kit. After several years they might need a rebuild. Easy to do.
  6. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

I like my LPH45. Nuff sed.
    SteveS likes this.