What does everyone feed their fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Health, Disease and Nutrition' started by fishlady, Mar 17, 2015.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

Just curious what you feed your fish. What products do you like and what not to use.
  2. Detautafni

Detautafni Active Member

Mines been on new life spectrum as a staple
  3. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I won some ground bulk fish food from Charles Clapsaddle skiing a couple of questions on his blog. I have enough for about 6 months. I supplement with F.D. Bloodworms and frozen brine. I have green water for baby livebearers and all the aquariums have plants to graze.
  4. Megan

Megan Advisory Board Staff Member

I took Ted's advice and feed Xtreme cichlid pellets.

I also feed the Xtreme Community Crave flakes to fry when I don't get Repashy made.

They seem to do well on it and when the fry get big enough to eat the pee wee pellets they start to grow really fast.
  5. Ashley

Ashley Well-Known Member

A lot lol

The current running list:

Dry foods:
    NLS Marine Fish Formula and H2O Stable wafers
    Aqueon bottom feeder tablets (though nothing really seems to like them)
    Ocean nutrition Brine Shrimp Plus Flakes
    Repashy ( mix of reef hunter, reef prowler, soilent green & community plus)
    Reef Chili

Frozen:
    Limpets Reef mix
    Nutramar Ova
    Cyclopeeze when I can find it.

Live foods:
    Black worms for fresh brine shrimp for salt (here and there)

For the dry and frozen food I just mix up batches and keep it in the fridge for a few days. I have squirt bottle so I can feed the mixtures a few times a day. Both fresh and salt water tanks get the same mixture. I don't think it really matters if a food is made for marine or not. Fish/inverts/coral are all fat and happy
  6. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

They eat better than I do.
  7. jeri

jeri Member

What is in the mixture in the squirt bottle?
  8. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

TheyJustWantedGoldfish Active Member

Repashy, Xtreme and black worms. Fresh veggies for those fish so inclined. Also interested in the squirt bottle idea. Do you defrost/rinse the frozen stuff before mixing, or just toss it in and shake?
  9. Ashley

Ashley Well-Known Member

Usually Repashy, brine shrimp flakes, reef chili and some frozen food.
  10. hazard

hazard Active Member

Aquadine flake(10lbs/yr), hbh graze and seafood lovers(10lbs/yr), extreme pellets for the frontosa
  11. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

Aqueon Herbivore pellets, Aqueon shrimp pellets, Aqueon Tropical Flakes, live blackworms, FD bloodworms, Repashy Spawn N Grow, Repashy Morning wood, Frozen bloodworms, Baby Brine shrimp.

And Zilla FD river shrimp and Mealworms to my larger fish.
  12. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

Whatever is in the goodie bags.....
  13. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Kens premium cichlid flakes, HBH Graze and Seafood Lovers, NLS cichlid pellets, Extreme Catfish Scrapers, Black worms, Frozen Bloodworms, vinegar eels, Whiteworms, Microworms, Bananaworms. Repashy Meat Pie, Soilent Green, Spawn & Grow, Redrum, And like Ted said anything in the goodie bags.
  14. Bushman

Bushman Active Member

Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 (packaging looks like it's salt water fish, but fresh water fish love it, too) and Brine Shrimp Plus. The Brine Shrimp Plus is my fishes' absolute favorite. Wardley's shrimp pellets for my cories. Hikari mini algae wafers for my BN plecos. Swords, guppies and Julidochromis like them, too. Fluval community and veggie flakes. Ocean Nutrition veggie pellets for my Julis. Had some Kensfish stuff which was really good, too. But one of them had garlic in it and stunk. Fish loved it. My fish don't like API or Aqueon anything. Omega One shrimp pellets are not very successful because they don't sink quickly. My fish don't like them, either.
  15. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

I use mostly tetra flakes.

live foods

black worms
    daphnia
    mosquito larva

My was told about a good dog food for fish.

Orijen six fish.

Afish protein and no grain

I costs about $25 for 5 lbs.

I plant to try it. You grind the food down smaller pices
  16. lancehalzen

lancehalzen New Member

Hello Sir. Have you tried giving Orijen to your fish? I'm curious to the results as I also have that dog food and I'm planning to give some to my oscars if it will do any good.
  17. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I use to feed almost all flakes and pellets. I then started working with some discus. They're addicted to live blacworms. I have tried all types of frozen to try towidentheir tastes. I now am feeding a freezer full of frozen delicacies to my livebearers. Because the discus choose to be gourmets.
  18. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

It seemed to foul the water easily. I still hae a bunch in the frezzer. It is all natural o goes badly in a few months.