What fish???

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by fishlady, Oct 15, 2012.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

I thought I heard a fish described during an auction that full grown is a inch or less and was very prolific. Does anyone know what fish this could be?
  2. TANK

TANK Active Member

Micropoecilia picta
  3. fishlady

Thanks. Feels good to know I didn't imagine it LOL
  4. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

M. picta is small, but not all that prolific. Maybe Poecilia prolifica? The name says it all...
  5. fishlady

Could be, I heard it mentioned at one of the MAAH auctions. Has this fish been in the auction alot? Wasn't keeping any livebearers at the time so the comment caught my attention but wasn't looking for them at the time.
  6. tjudy

We have not had M. picta in the club that I know of. I used to have P. prolifica, and I am sure they have been through the club. Heterandria formosa, maybe?
  7. fishlady

Could be, I didn't catch the name of the fish at all, just remember vaguely the comment about staying small and being prolific.
  8. REVTODD

REVTODD Active Member Staff Member

Neoheterandria elegans? If they love life in your water they drop fry up to a few times a week.
  9. fishlady

Ok. Looking for some that meet the small yet prolific that I can use as feeders. That seems to be the only way I can trigger some of my fish to spawn.
  10. tjudy

I suggest out bidding Dave for Craig's guppies. To get enough feeders from live bearers you need a LOT of adult live bearers in a large tank dropping fry all the time. A faster way to get a lot of feeders fry is to raise convicts or jewel cichlids, but if you need the feeders to be 1/2" or larger you will need to grow them out a bit.
  11. fishlady

Figures, I gave away some convicts LOL
  12. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Sounds like time for you to set up some Christmas fulus or maybe some flamebacks.
  13. leej24

leej24 Member

I've had M. picta and they are not prolific at all. N. elegans not prolific either.
  14. Bushman

Bushman Active Member

I like Ted's suggestion. Outbid Dave for Craig's (that's me) guppies. I have been separating out smaller fry for Dave and selling the adults at the auction. I have about 300 adults and 50 fry right now. The fewer adults I have, the more fry. Up to a point, of course. I can supply at least 100 fry and 100 adults a month, and in between sizes as well. I can sell the fry at 50 for $10. The adults 25 for $10. and the ones in between, say 35 for $10. I can even deliver to the east side of Madison on weekdays between noon and 2:00 pm or weekends. They are a cross between guppies and endler's in my opinion. I think they are quite pretty and don't actually raise them to be feeders, but that is what they have become. Two fish shops, one in Fond du Lac and the Wet Pet Outlet in Eldora, Iowa, actually sell my guppies, for $2.00 each. My phone number is 608-846-2293
    Thanks,
    Craig
    followyourshadow likes this.
  15. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! My pikes think they are lovely.
    duxallinarow likes this.
  16. Witamygreatdanes

Witamygreatdanes Active Member

LOL.. You guys are funny. :) I have convicts.. but so far only two have spawned... babies still too small for food. :)
  17. fishlady

Looking for feeders for my frontosa. Now that they are getting some size to them (3-5") I am assuming that they probably want "big fish" food. I was going to bid on guppies today but since I was a runner I didn't get around to bidding.
  18. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Fronts will do fine on pellet and frozen food. I wouldn't bother with feeders. In the wild they prey on Cyprichromis.
  19. Witamygreatdanes

I have some baby convicts and some vic's that won't color up for me that I would let you have Pat. The vic's might be too big or some of them as they range from .5 to about 2.0 inches. Let me know. I could probably swing down that with with them for gas money. How big do they need to be as my convict babies range also from very small to about 2.0 inches as well.
  20. Witamygreatdanes

@Dave! Do you have pikes again cuz I do have some convict fry that are about a week old and very small... still rather hard to see.