What new plants did you get today?

Discussion in 'General Planted Aquarium' started by tjudy, Jul 20, 2016.

1. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

I like this thread in the fish section, so let's get it going with plants...

I got in some plants for two 75-gallon planted tank projects today. Most are the new Tropica 1-2-Grow tissue culture plants, and they look really great!

1-2-Grow plants -
    • Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' - a truly dwarf hair grass that will be a ground cover in one of the tanks
    • Alternanthera reinicki 'mini' - a smaller-growing reinicki cultivar
    • Hydrocotyl tripartita - a dense, small-leaf hydrocotyl that can be trained to grow low by physically pressing it to the substrate every now and then. We shall see....
    • Hygrophila 'Araguaia' - a spiky-leaf reddish hygro
    Also...
    • Cryptocoryne parva
    bahamafj11 likes this.
  2. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Just got back from Hayward. I collected Valisnaria, anacharis, hornwort among other things. I just had time to get a couple of scoops around the edge of the Tiger Lake Flowage.
    Mike F and Tom like this.
  3. Vshrimp

Vshrimp Member

I recently just gotten fissidens amaria taruya.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2016
    Chuck, Mike F and tjudy like this.
  4. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Awesome plant there.
  5. Mike F

Mike F Advisory Board

Watched the videos on your blog last night, didnt realize how many plants you can get out of each cup. Pretty good deal for such tiny looking containers!
  6. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

I picked up some of the Sagittaria filiformis that Kris brought to the meeting, which looks like a longer Dwarf Sagittaria, somewhat reminiscent of Jungle Val, but with narrower leaves. I've got it in a 20 long, which is too short for it, but it is putting out runners already, so I'm hoping it will take off. It probably helps that I am dosing with ammonia right now, since there are no fish in tank.

I also picked up some Glossostigma elatinoides, which I've got in sand in a different 20 long. It's got enough light, but no CO2, so we'll see how it does. It's putting out new shoots of underwater leaves, so I'm hopeful it will take off, although I've read it will get tall if it doesn't have the right conditions to stay short. The Tropica site says high light and high CO2, so we'll see how it works out.
  7. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

The glosso I planted after the last meeting is finally starting to grow a bit. Same here no CO2 but plenty of light with a Finnix MonsterRGB only 14 inches or so above the plants the 15 gallon. I have the same hope as you regarding the CO2.

The Rotala macrandra is actually growing out of the water and is turning red, of course it is only three inches from the light.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  8. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

1-2-Grow! plants -

Marsilea 'crenata'
    Echinodorus 'reni'

And two plant packs from last meeting. Time to sow!
    Aquaticus likes this.
  9. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Nice ones, Jeff! Where did you get them?