What pleco's are you working with?

Discussion in 'Catfish and Bottom Dwellers' started by fishlady, Feb 4, 2013.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

I have only breed the bristle nose and have tons of them but would like to try to work with a different species. So what kinds are you working with??
  2. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

L333, L226, L271, L38, L204, L85, L191, L10A, and LFABN.

But the only ones that have spawned for me in the last year (other than the LFABN) are my L340 and I already sold off the parents.

Only the L333, L226, and L204 are of spawning size. The others have some growing up to do. L85 and L191 are very difficult/never been spawned in captivity so I may never have luck with them but I want to try.

If you are looking for something that would be the next level of difficulty I would suggest L15 or L340, or a Hypancistrus like L129, L66, or L333.

Andy
  3. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

I currently am at a low point in my pleco breeding. Currently have : L129 aka Hypancistrus debilittera, L168/52 Dekeyseria brachyura, L443 Chaetostoma dorsale, and L92 Lasiancistrus tentaculatus. The first three are of breeding size, but with no luck thus far. The Lasiancistrus seem like they are way to small, but I can accurately tell I have 1m/3f now, so who knows right now with them.

Not in my care, but being cared for by family at different locals which have bred.
    Panaque Maccus (Clown Pleco) bred once, 3 fry survived
    Parotocinclus spilosoma - breed pretty frequently, few fry survive from each spawn, no special care given for these guys.
  4. hmglis

hmglis Active Member

I wish i had the space to breed plecos. I had a pair of calico bn plecos but the female died so just the lonely male left...looking for one if anyone has a spare female calico bn pleco. Other than that, wow everyone has a pretty big list! Cool!
  5. Natives2WI

Plecos are my favorite fish in the world. If I could have just one species of fish, it would be a pleco. You have people dedicated to other groups (bettas, cichlids, corydoras, tetras, etc.)

Not to mention they tend to be the "hot fish" lately
  6. fishlady

So I am planning on going to the GCCA and will be on the look out for some plecos to work with. Any certain kind that you would recommend and is there certain people to avoid getting these types of fish from or certain people you would recommend?
  7. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Pat when I go to the GCCA I usually hit Pleco Petes (Peter Durkin) table first. He always has plecos that others don't seem to have. Go on the GCCA website and look up under scavengers. He has a pretty big list along with Cathy Durkin.
  8. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I would second what Jeff said. Peter Durkin usually has good stuff.
  9. Natives2WI

But if you are looking to get enough for a group, contact him first. A lot of times he has told me he doesn't big a lot of each. Not sure if this is true or not, but if you want say 6 of something, he will usually make a deal and you don't have to wait and see what he has left and if there are enough for breeding.
  10. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

If you want stuff from Pete, you better pre-order or he may not have all the fish you want/need.
  11. RMC

RMC Member

Matt Schauer - NBM Aquatics will have a table at the GCCA and he always has a lot of good tank-raised plecos. I know he said he has a lot of L183's this time - cool fish!
  12. HmongXiong

HmongXiong Member

I got red shortfins and longfins,green shorts and lf, blue eye lf and sf, calico lf and sf, L183, and L46. Anyone know where I can get some L134 3 inch atleast?
  13. hmglis

hmglis Active Member

blue eye sfbnp and calico sfbnp.
  14. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Super Red Bristlenose
    L140
    L400
    albino Bristlenose
    Brown Bristlenose

Looking for L134 but don't want to play $40.00 or more for .75" to 1" fry.
    Natives2WI likes this.
  15. Natives2WI

L092 - 4 breeding adults (few spawns, 0 fry as of now)
    L271 - 6 juvies/young adults (1 spawn, eggs kicked out and fungused)
    LDA72 - 1m/1f (don't like eachother)
    L129 - 5 unsexed juvies
    L066 - 6 unsexed juvies
    Young (1" fry) L260 - 4 fry
  16. hazard

hazard Active Member

I have these bristlenose
    regular shortfin
    regular longfin
    albino shortfin
    albino longfin
    calico shortfin
    calico longfin
    lemon drop longfin(looks like a regular longfin to me)
    super red
  17. plecoboy

plecoboy Member

I've been concentrating on Rio Xingu plecos since the construction of the Belo Monte Dam. Many of these plecos may go extinct in the wild. I've had success with L46,L66,L333, L333 Porto Do Moz, L400, and Lower Rio Xingu this year.
  18. fishlady

If you have different types of pleco's in the same tank with they hybridize? I currently have some L104's that are on loan to me and wondering if I can put other wood eaters in with them or not.
  19. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't mix the same Genus together. What specific species are you thinking of housing together? I know that at least some Genera will hybridize cross species, but I don't know about cross Genera.
  20. fishlady

someone has L271 and L92 for sale and I was thinking about 1 or both of those.