What to do with that Starbucks cup

Discussion in 'DIY' started by rbk, Sep 8, 2015.

1. rbk

rbk Member

foamfilterand.jpg
    Aquaticus likes this.
  2. rbk

rbk Member

Now that this filter has been running for a few days, I can tell that the diameter of the cup is too small for the media to move properly.
  3. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

My question is? why you would want to. If you are looking for additional filtration from the same air line, extend the lift tube above the surface of the water and dump the water into to a trough filed with media. allow the water to flow via gravity through the additional media before dumping back into the tank.
  4. rbk

rbk Member

A fair question...here are some answers.
    1) I bought 1 cu ft of moving bed media and am trying to figure out how to use it. ( would it be permitted to put it in the club auction? would anyone want it?)
    2) moving bed filters look cool.
    3) It seems possible that there is a benefit to combining these three slightly different biological filter methods. First, the foam filter(not very aerobic), second the lava rock and Biohome media(anaerobic, slow water in the bottom of the container, possibly eventually hosting anaerobic bacteria that will eat nitrate) and third the moving bed(very aerobic)
  5. rbk

rbk Member

the Starbuck's cup has been replaced by a 2 L juice bottle since the picture was taken.