What's the best food for goldfish/koi?

Discussion in 'Goldfish and Koi' started by fishlady, May 29, 2013.

1. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

Looking for something that has good nutrition and won't make the pond so dirty.
  2. duxallinarow

duxallinarow Active Member

That, friend, is the Holy Grail of pond ownership. I certainly hope someone with experience chimes in here.
  3. duxallinarow

duxallinarow Active Member

Howling mother of dog, my little koi ponds have gone from milky green-brown to crystal clear in less than a week. I'm feeding the koi posse the same Tetra Pond Koi Vibrance that I fed them last year (plus whatever else I find on sale – koi ain't picky), so I know it's not the food. They're sleek, active little suckers, so they're not starving. The only thing I changed was using the Aquascape Beneficial Bacteria that Power said he tried in his ponds in another thread. I struggled to keep my ponds clean enough to see the fish last summer, washing filters weekly, and went through a number of different treatments and clarifiers without much luck. But here we are – one week and two treatments into this season, and we've gone from nearly opaque to clear as glass.
    Looks like I'm going to have to pony up for a tub of the granules before my squirt bottle runs out.