What's the best food for goldfish/koi?

Discussion in 'Goldfish and Koi' started by fishlady, May 29, 2013.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

Looking for something that has good nutrition and won't make the pond so dirty.
  2. duxallinarow

duxallinarow Active Member

That, friend, is the Holy Grail of pond ownership. I certainly hope someone with experience chimes in here.
  3. duxallinarow

duxallinarow Active Member

Howling mother of dog, my little koi ponds have gone from milky green-brown to crystal clear in less than a week. I'm feeding the koi posse the same Tetra Pond Koi Vibrance that I fed them last year (plus whatever else I find on sale – koi ain't picky), so I know it's not the food. They're sleek, active little suckers, so they're not starving. The only thing I changed was using the Aquascape Beneficial Bacteria that Power said he tried in his ponds in another thread. I struggled to keep my ponds clean enough to see the fish last summer, washing filters weekly, and went through a number of different treatments and clarifiers without much luck. But here we are – one week and two treatments into this season, and we've gone from nearly opaque to clear as glass.
    Looks like I'm going to have to pony up for a tub of the granules before my squirt bottle runs out.