Where does it end

Discussion in 'MAAH Social Forum' started by Jerry Wallendal, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Jerry Wallendal

Jerry Wallendal New Member

In March of 2017 a friend gave us a 55 gallon tank and all the fixings free for the hauling. My wife picked the fish and designed the set up. Then I wanted another tank for some fish I wanted to keep. They had babies while we were on vacation and my son who was caring for the tank got hooked and another 55 was added. When we picked it up there was a 29 tall with all the stuff for $25 so we came home with two tanks. We are now up to 9. Does it ever end?
  2. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

It is really a question how many you can handle maintaining? I know people with 200+ tanks.
  3. Megan

Megan Advisory Board Staff Member

I bought a 75g 4 years ago and wasn't going to have anymore tanks, just one nice display tank. That lasted approximately 2 months, lol.
    Scott Wiersema likes this.
  4. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

I only have 47 tanks running. I’d like to get up to 80-100
    Scott Wiersema likes this.
  5. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

I find having a small house is effectively limiting. I got rid of the kitchen table to set up a rack of tanks. I have virtually no furniture besides a desk, chair, and bed. I blocked what used to be my pantry to set up a 75 over a 90. The kitchen is hardly good for food preparation. There is absolutely nowhere else in my little house to set up more. I've been trying to figure out more space and mathematically, there just isn't any. Most everything is already three rows high. When my parrot dies (he's never going to die by the way, because he is definitely some immortal evil) we can move the bed upstairs and set up a few big tanks there, but that's really all I can do. 40 is how many tanks fit into a tiny house with two people, three dogs, a bird, and a half dozen rats. This is where it ends for us no matter how many more I would otherwise want to set up.
  6. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

What about a pond outside? Lol
    Scott Wiersema and Megan like this.
  7. SteveS

SteveS Advisory Board

The great thing about this hobby is you can go big or cut back. Just keep your equipment if you cut back. Im always upgrading or tearing down tanks. I cant stop at just 1 tank. So many New fish in the hobby its hard to just pick one species to keep lol. I have 59 running now. A lot of large tanks 55 gallon to 220 gallons. Before 2017 I had 122 running once . I think 12 to 50 tanks is manageale. So many fish, so little time lol. Im happy to see people with the same passion(addiction). Lol
    pogues and Megan like this.
  8. Jerry Wallendal

Yes I think it is definitely an addiction. I had no idea. Then you start to sell some to pay for the habit and end up spending the profit on more tanks. This is crazy but I have always loved crazy.
    SteveS likes this.
  9. Dragon159

Dragon159 Advisory Board

I look at it like some people look at tattoos, how much pain can you stand and how much room do you have. I'm only at 25 tanks and at least four more are waiting for their place.
    SteveS likes this.
  10. Tigerlady

Tigerlady Active Member

Well, I have always had one tank (of fancy guppies, of course) since i was little. At one time, when my son was young, we had two 75 gallon tanks of all live bearers and general 'fish store' fish. We went down to just one hex tank which we referred to as the "fantasy tank" because it had purple sand and brightly colored plastic plants and a big purple dinosaur that breathed bubbles.

Then Randy came along and for our first Christmas together I gave him a tank set-up (I can't remember how big) but Randy's inquisitive mind sent him to Paul at Living Art and Rev. Todd at PetWorld Superstore on a regular basis, where he continually met up with Ted Judy (which is another story) When our family moved to another location, Randy expanded to more tanks in the livingroom and he built the racks himself. When he quit drinking....Randy jumped in to fish keeping with both feet and built a fish room in about a quarter of our basement (I don't remember how many tanks we had there, but it was over 21). Then, we moved again and to cut this short, we now have over 90 tanks including the fish room (which is now about 3/4 of our basement; two display tanks and two shrimp tanks in the livingroom; six tanks in my sewing room and two now in the small bedroom). We also have several empty tanks and tons of "fish junk" which is bits and pieces of equipment for use in the fish room. To date, the only room in our house that does not have either working tanks or "fish junk" are the bathrooms and our bedroom!!!!!!

So to answer the question "does it ever stop" .... I would say you are limited by the space you have, however, I keep saying we have no more room and Randy keeps finding more space..........Ultimately, it never ends!
    SteveS and Megan like this.
  11. Jerry Wallendal

Oh no. After reading Diana's comment I fear for our house. We are up to 11 tanks just since original post. We have bought 6 more at Petco's dollar per gallon sale and are planning to expand to the basement next as no more room upstairs. Do I need therapy?
    pogues likes this.
  12. Dragon159

Dragon159 Advisory Board

Hi .... I'm (insert name here).... I have an aquarium addiction and I'm very happy with it.

Therapy over.

Good thing we have such a good support base so we never have to "suffer" alone.
  13. Jerry Wallendal

Sounds like good therapy to me so on with the tanks.
  14. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

I’ve said it before, we are the worst support group ever- we tell each, “you can set up just one more tank”
    Dragon159 likes this.
  15. Jerry Wallendal

Yes I recall you saying something like that to me. Then you gave me the tour and told me how I could sell more. Does that make you a dealer for our addiction.
  16. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Well, Keith already calls me his dealer, so maybe.
    Dragon159 likes this.
  17. Dragon159

Dragon159 Advisory Board

The first Dealer I've had that I don't have to worry about getting busted or getting me busted.:D:p
    Sean S and AssassinJimmie like this.
  18. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I think most of us can admit to being enablers in this viscous epidemic. Maybe we should start a new a new group. TMTA... To Many Tanks Anonymous. I’ll start. Hi, my name is Chris. I started with a pond inside my condo 9 years ago which led to a 75 gallon and then a 29. I now have 50+ tanks in my house between fish and vivariums.
    Dragon159 and Sean S like this.
  19. Jerry Wallendal

Amen to that
  20. Jerry Wallendal

You guys are crazy. I had no idea that there were so many of you out there with but here it goes. Hi my name is Jerry. My wife got me hooked. I think it was sort of like Eve giving Adam the apple. Anyway then a second tank. Then two more and got my son hooked. Now up to 11 in less than a year and 5 more waiting for racks and picking up another tomorrow.
    SteveS and Sean S like this.