Wood racks

Discussion in 'DIY' started by kb9skw, Dec 16, 2016.

1. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

I'm going to start to build some wood racks for my 29 gallon tanks. I want something that is easy but still looks good. So I decided on using Ted's design with half lap joints but I'm going to use dimensional red cedar. Also I'm improving on the design a little bit by notching out the horizontal front and rear lengths one inch and the side lengths half way to fit into the front pieces. So the sides will be 12.5 inches with a 1.75" notched out on each end 1.0" in on each end. That will drop into the 1.0" notch on the horizontal lengths leaving 0.5" to drive through. All put together with 3.0" lag screws.

On top of that there will be 2.0" heavy duty corner braces to additional rigidity.

I also plan on building the same frame 48 inches long with an additional rear center leg and frame support this winter. The idea is of course that all the racks look the same in my basement.

Pics on Sunday!
  2. waterboy

waterboy Active Member

Did you look at these stands?
    I have built a bunch of these stands for the fishroom. They are heavy duty but relatively simple to build. No need for a lot of measuring and notching.
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1169964
    A 2x2 works good as a nailing strip (the green ones in the picture). If the bottom tank is the same size as the top tank, the stand needs to be a little wider. Measure between the verticals in front. And I always place the verticals across the seam in the top and bottom box frame not as shown. Can be covered with thin plywood and turned into a show stand with a little more work.
  3. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

I had already had the lumber rough cut by the time I saw that, but I think I still like this design for being simple.

The legs and frame are cut and the joints made. We had a small measurement issue but that can be fixed by clamping the legs together and running them through the table saw and taking off half a blade width. Sanded to 120 grit on the belt sander and now we need to drill out the template for the screws. Then drill the holes, counterbore and countersink them and I am basically done.

Hopefully I can oil it by next weekend.

[​IMG]
    Aquaticus likes this.
  4. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

Well I did not calculate the size properly so I have a very strong single 29 stand that can hold a few small tanks on the bottom.

Live and learn. [​IMG]
  5. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

It oiled up nicely at least. We have an idea about using finger joints to get the desired frame built.

[​IMG]
    Chuck, Tom and Aquaticus like this.
  6. steve

steve Active Member

looks nice
  7. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

So I started the next stand today, a bit of a different design.

First off I am using 1x4 oak for the frame. The design is actually quite simple and will look like the below picture save for legs added to the sides. The frame will be held in place with finger joints.

Today we cut the pieces, four 51" and six 12.75" pieces. The 51" pieces will be cut 2.25 inches on each side with the dado blade which will allow the 12.75" piece to be inserted plus a 1.5" leg piece. The leg will be fashioned by ripping a six foot long 2x6 piece of oak in half then cutting fingers into that which will lock in with the frame.

Tomorrow we are going to switch out the blade in the table saw with the 1/2" dado blade and get to cutting the fingers.

[​IMG]
    Aquaticus likes this.
  8. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

"Cutting the fingers" .................................................hmmmmmmm!:eek:
  9. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

And the fingers are cut on the frame members. I need to pick up the 2x6 and get it into the woodshop for 24 hours then measure exactly how thick it is. Then I will deepen the fingers on the front and rear frame members and we can get to gluing.
  10. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

The legs were cut today and we built the first frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Aquaticus likes this.
  11. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

Dry fit of the first frame to the legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chuck, Tom and Aquaticus like this.
  12. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

This looks nice, but haven't you weakened the strength of the cross beam, considering you are only using 1x4? This is a 48" run? What volume of water/tanks is this going to hold?
  13. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

Double 55, I figure about 500lbs each.

The nice thing is a finger joint is basically one solid block of wood once glued and pressed together. Also it's solid oak, if you look up the specific gravity and how many pounds per square inch it can supply the 1x4 is plenty strong, especially with the center brace.

I'm also going to screw in corner braces into each corner, so there will be two 1.5" screws going through the 12.75 piece into each leg.

There will be no twisting or sagging.
  14. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Remember it is the corners of the tank that require support, I would be more concerned if he was putting a pair of tanks or multiple tanks on that construction then I am with a single tank.
  15. SteveS

SteveS Advisory Board

Looks great. Excellent construction
  16. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

Thanks. I got around to putting the third leg on today, sanding the finished side flush and smooth and putting on some oil.

[​IMG]
    TroyZ and Tom like this.
  17. Eric N

Eric N Member

Pm sent.
  18. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

19. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

Home finally.

[​IMG]
    Scott Wiersema and Aquaticus like this.